Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any One Interested In Organizing an East Coast Conference ?

Any One Interested In Organizing an East Coast Conference ?

There is no reason an East Coast conference in the summer time would not be a success. There are interesting places to photograph and there are alot of Large Format shooters who can drive to the conference and combine it with summer holidays. Maybe it will take some time to organize but I is do-able. I am sort of in the Midwest being in Toronto but Torontoians regularly drive to Florida and New York and Chicago. etc. I fugure that a good locale with inexpensive lodging and some subject matter would be fun. Dare I suggest Niagra Falls? Romms are cheap, the view is still good. and there are scenic routes to get there through the finfer lakes the Catskills and Adirondacks. OR how about the Adirondacks? Or the Thousand Islands? Or Cape May? Well you get the idea. Is there interest?

You could be more specific (in your thread title)

This is an international forum, and many countries have East Coasts!

If you envisige holding the conference near Lowestoft or Felixtow, I might be interested.

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Never thought of Toronto as Midwest...:>) But sure, I might be interested ....I'm on the West Coast...of Toronto...(Etobicoke)...
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Edward,

For a East Coast (US) location, why not take it to the "Lion's Den"---Rochester, NY? If my New York geography is better than my New Mexican, Rochester is centrally located on the Great Lakes and within easy striking distance of all the major eastern metropolitan centers in the US and Canada, plus you'd have the resources of Eastman Kodak, RIT, and the Geroge Eastman House to tap into for expertise for programs. Just a thought. -------Good Luck!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I'm up for anything on the East Coast, but I think that we're not really that organized. I've tried to get a number of us together around NY/NJ for a field trip, but didn't have much luck.

It would be great if we could make it work out. Not all of us can fly out to Carmel or even Santa Fe, though I will admit that they are more appealing for shooting.

Edward;

You really need to ask Steve Simmons (View Camera mag) to hold his next LF conference on the East Coast somewhere. He's done a good number of them out West and NM but never (I don't think) East. I would guess that organizing such a conference is a massive undertaking and I don't know about you, Edward, but I wouldn't do it. Maybe Steve would go for it though?

Anywhere in New England would be fine but I'd vote for Toronto (even though it's in the "Midwest" ;-)

Nothing against Steve Simmons, whose excellent book I use daily, but the LF Monterey conference is now the "establishment" conference. I see nothing wrong with creating an alternative. Many eastern U.S. photographers (except for those who jet out to Utah every 3rd weekend) have developed a distinct and different style of photography, e.g. Paul Caponigro and Nicholas Nixon. Why not celebrate that in an eastern Conference instead of trying to replicate the Adams/Weston/National Monument mystique of the West Coast? The initial conference need not be as large or extensive as the Monterey Conference.

Well, I'd go no matter what group it was catering to, just to meet and speak with other LF'ers. But on the other hand, I guess I'm a West Coast photographer tragically born on the East Coast. I dislike the East Coast point of view and most of the work that I've seen from the majority of 'establishment' photographers over here. I'm downright frightened of the work that is displayed by colleges.

I have thought about Ashville, NC for a 2006 View Camera conference.

steve simmons

I think that this would be a good time to mention that I've tried on a few occasions to organize a large format group, most likely starting with a group outing, in the tri-state/northeast area. All two or three attempts that I made have failed.

If anyone would be interested in this, either if it eventually works out, or in helping to organize and decide on a location/date, I'd appreciate any suggestions or help. I got responses from as far north as Massachusetts (possibly farther, I don't remember) down to DC.

So, if anyone has suggestions for a timeframe and a location, please drop me an e-mail. It should be some place that's LF-friendly, group-friendly, is interesting to lots of us, and most importantly a place to which we could work out transportation for a large number of people and a lot of big cameras.

On the other hand, if you just want to be notified, I have a list of all who were previously interested, and will notify you by email when something materializes.

It's not a replacement for a conference, but it sure would be nice if we east coast LF'ers could become a bit more organized, and perhaps eventually launch some sort of mass meeting/conference ourselves.