Thread: Lenses for Larger format 8*20, 12*20, 20*24

Lenses for Larger format 8*20, 12*20, 20*24

Hello all! Excuse for my English, please. I from Moscow also am during purchase of the camera 8*20. Also I consider an opportunity of purchase of the chamber 12*20 and 20*24 in the future. But I am constrained with absence in catalogues of Schneider, Rodenstock, Nikon and Fuji of the information on objectives for such Larger formats. Also I am in perplexity from scarcity of the information on such objectives on the Internet. Unfortunately at us in Russia, probably, nobody can help me. If someone can consult about where and as it shall be possible to get such objectives it is very grateful for the help!

Yours faithfully and gratitude, Anton

If you can access this format. at the bottom of the forum page, there is a archive of previous posts for your review. Look under 11x14 - ULF (Ultra Large Format) and you will be able to injest a considerable amount of dialog on all aspects of your desired subject.

As far as your question on ULF films, try J&C Photo (they imports Efke film from Croatia), Bergger, Photo Warehouse (re-packaged fp4) and Ilford HP5 from various re-sellers. All of these entities have websites and offer films in a wide range of sizes and speeds for the ULF shooter. Good Luck!

Modern lenses like Schneider, Rodenstock, Nikon and Fuji can all be seen on the manufacturer's web sites. It's even easier to go to www.badgergraphic.com and click on large format and you can get all the specs of the current new lenses. Older lenses are harder. For 11X14 try http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/Alt_cameras/large%20format%20lenses.htm. If that doesn't work, send me you email address and I'll send you the list as an attachment..

Jerry

Good luck in your large format odyssey. To cover large formats, don't overlook vintage Rapid Rectilinear lenses (in brass housing, no shutter) that were made to cover such huge negatives. They appear from time to time on eBay. I have used such lenses for 5x7 and they can be excellent. For even larger formats where you will contact print, they can do as well.

The ones that intrigue me are the wide-field de Golden Busch lenses. I believe they come in 18" and 24" focal lengths. Something like that. They are a modern type lenses that were produced sometime in the 70's or so. Huge. I don't know their coverage, but it's wide.

They occassionally are for sale at www.lensandrepro.com in New York. But, they are expensive, in the neighborhood of $2000. I've only seen them come up on EBay a couple of times in the last few years.

Many thanks to all responded! Your answers are very useful to me. I shall catch now objectives.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Anton, since you are Russian I think you should also consider Industar lenses. I don't know much about them, but they should be somewhat easier to find locally? Also post-war Zeiss Jena have many good lenses. A Tessar or similar lens should be about 600mm to cover 8x20. There are frequently good lenses in this range for sale on ebay.de, many of them with sellers in Russia or Ukraina.

With respect to the "Industar" lenses, those are Tessar types, which means the coverage will be in the 50-60 degree range. I am aware of a 210 and a 300mm (both f/4.5) for LF purposes, the I-51 and I-37, respectively. They were made at the "KOMZ" factory in Kazan and used for "FKD" tailboard cameras. There were older versions with different numbers, but similar specs (e.g. I-13 was also an f/4.5 300mm). To my knowledge there were only barrel versions. There are also Russian-made process lenses - the ones I am aware of were made by LOMO in St. Petersburg. There was a series of process lenses designated by the letters "RF" and a number (of course in cyrillic), symmetric 4/4 constructions based on the artar design (although the inner negative lenses are menisci instead of biconcave ones). There was another series using an "O" plus number acronym of unknown construction - I've seen one offered on ebay with 600mm focal length. Those could be used, too. As an aside,the first 2 digits of the Russian serial numbers ususally indicate the year of manufacture, that is a lens with the serial no. 830617 was made in 1983.