Thread: If I left pryocat HD with the cap unscrewed for like a month should I throw it out

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

If I left pryocat HD with the cap unscrewed for like a month should I throw it out

I'm an idiot and I just found out that I left an almost full bottle of pyrocat hd with the cap unscrewed. Should I still use it or just toss it? I would like not to, because I was hoping to use it this weekend and I haven't found a place since I moved that carries it in store.

This is the version from the formulary, in glycol. Specifically solution B

Re: If I left pryocat HD with the cap unscrewed for like a month should I throw it ou

Usually, its a bad idea to use a compromised developer as its a false economy, in a sense. Considering the time spent on taking a shot and the cost of film, its usually better to lose the $5 or $10 worth of developer and not take the chance. There are times, however, when the issue of contamination or the correctness of mixtures leaves you pretty sure the developer is good, but not totally sure. At these times, I conjur a test that will solve other questions that may have been brewing about my equipment to make good use of a trial run. You might try certain lenses at fully open and closed apertures just to see how they handle those positions, for example. Or shooting the same subject with different lenses to compare sharpness as another example. I usually do something like this with each new mixture actually, rather than committing important shots to chemicals that I'm not sure about.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

Octogenarian

Re: If I left pryocat HD with the cap unscrewed for like a month should I throw it ou

Formulary Pyrocat-HD solution "B" is the potassium carbonate accelerator, dissolved in water.

It will evaporate, but not oxidize.

Part "A" is the developer solution, in glycol. It can oxidize when mixed with water and exposed to air.

You should be good to go.

Ideally Part B shouldn't be left exposed to air, but you may be OK.

It would be wise to test firts with an unimportant or test negative.

Ian