Thread: Deardorff V8 Extension Unit...any idea how to attach it to a V8?

Deardorff V8 Extension Unit...any idea how to attach it to a V8?

A couple of years ago, I purchase a V8 extension unit for lack of a better term. It has the same rear standard, shift, tilt, etc. as the back standard of the V8 with new bellows 12+ inch expansion and the front of the unit attaches to the V8 rear standard like a back does. However, it did not have an extension rail for it. I subsequently purchased a rear rail extension and fitted the V8 tracks which mesh properly with the gears. Any thoughts on how to complete the addition to a V8 would be appreciated. Thanks. Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dorf-Extension-Back.#2.jpg   Dorf-Extension-Back.#1.jpg   Dorf.rear-rail-plus.#1.jpg   Dorf-Extension-Back.#7.jpg  

Re: Deardorff V8 Extension Unit...any idea how to attach it to a V8?

Are there any Camera building gurus out there who can provide some insight on ways to utilize this Deardorff extension bellows on a V8? Thanks. Jon

I have no idea how that could be attached to a V8. Ask Ken Hough.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

I picture the attachment like a "triple" extension camera in my mind's eye, but any attempt to try and implement that picture would turn into a Nightmare. I too hope Ken Hough sees the thread and chimes in.

Deardorff Sales and service

Why did you buy that? Its for use where you do not want a chance of vignetting. You remove the back.Roll the rear frame forward. Remove the set screw on the rack and slide it in. Attach the front bellows frame. It provides no extension at all. The reason I asked Why is because when Jack built the first one for a customer he made maybe a half dozen. He gave me one, You have another and the original customer has the other. he used the rear frames for the other for cameras in 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wilson View Post
    A couple of years ago, I purchase a V8 extension unit for lack of a better term. It has the same rear standard, shift, tilt, etc. as the back standard of the V8 with new bellows 12+ inch expansion and the front of the unit attaches to the V8 rear standard like a back does. However, it did not have an extension rail for it. I subsequently purchased a rear rail extension and fitted the V8 tracks which mesh properly with the gears. Any thoughts on how to complete the addition to a V8 would be appreciated. Thanks. Jon
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

I have asked myself that same question, Ken. When it was purchased, the seller advertised it as an extension item, but for the life of me, I could not figure out how. Now I know. Thank you. Jon