Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrong infos about Apo-Nikkor 305mm in shutter

Wrong infos about Apo-Nikkor 305mm in shutter

On this forum there are reports that a Nikon Apo-Nikkor 305mm is a straight fit in standard shutter (No.1 IIRC).
    That's not true, or at least it's not true for my example, which is the common one, and probably the only one ever produced.
    There should be a 300mm one, of older design, but no other 305mm, AFAIK.
    To give a more usable information, i am attaching a picture of my lens.

I must admit that i purchased the lens with the plan to fit it in one of my "orphaned" shutters, but i stopped before dismantling the whole lens, once i found that the front glasses are not enclosed in a cell. If you open the front of the lens you end up with a bunch of loose parts, practically impossible to be fitted in a shutter, without incurring in unreasonable expenses (you can find a nice, recent Apo-Ronar for less!).
    I didn't remove the set screw at the back of the lens, cause there was no need to investigate any further...

If you found the same infos, and thought to buy an example to fit it in shutter, please make no mistake.
    I decided to come forward to spare others the same mistake i made

have fun

CJ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Apo-Nikkor 305mm.jpg  

Re: Wrong infos about Apo-Nikkor 305mm in shutter

Where did you read that on this forum??

I may be wrong, but i think it was Dan Fromm, reporting what Adam of SK Grimes told him.
    Two possibilities:
    1) there are TWO versions of the same lens
    2) there was some misunderstanding

have fun

CJ

I seriously doubt that. Dan is usually right on the money. Got a link? A misunderstanding on someone's part I do agree with.

Google has about a quarter million hits for the Apo Nikkor 305mm. You might want to consult one or more of those.

Here's Dan's original comment:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...Will-this-work

This appears to be for a process camera. Not designed to be mounted in a shutter, which is why you it's not arranged in two cells.

If you did mount it, the shutter diaphragm would need to be where the existing diaphragm is located within the lens.
    That's probably impossible. Using a shutter with the original diaphragm would require manual stop-down for each exposure.
    You could probably mount it in front of an ausiliary shutter like the Sinar or Packard, and use the existing diaphragm.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

No, Leigh, it's not an enlarging lens... though it can be used as such. It's an old analog process symmetrical 4-element dialyte.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Here's Dan's original comment:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...Will-this-work
    - Leigh
    Thanks, that was the original comment.
    I didn't check before posting but i was almost sure about it.
    I was right.
    To be honest, Dan wrote that he didn't check, and that the information should be verified.
    I did it, and thought that i had to correct that information, for all those who will do a search in the future with keywords "Apo-Nikkor 305mm" and "shutter".
    BTW, all the recent (dialyte) Apo-Nikkors are really good, and a perfect fit for Sinar/Copal or other behind-the-lens or front-mounted shutters.
    Of course any lens that can be fitted in a standard shutter can be easily used on any camera, even those with Technika lensboards.

have fun

CJ

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    No, Leigh, it's not an enlarging lens... though it can be used as such. It's an old analog process symmetrical 4-element dialyte.
    Haven't seen the word "enlarging" until your post.

CJ, thanks for trying and reporting. Now we know for sure, I think.

I say "I think" because skgrimes' site (see http://www.skgrimes.com/lens-mountin...ed-to-shutters) shows one in a #1. What had to be done to mount it isn't clear.

Sorry for the late reply, I was on the road when you posted.

Leigh, I have a number of process lenses whose elements are mounted in normal cells that screw into the fronts and rears of their barrels. G-Clarons, Apo-Ronars, Apotals, Apo-Saphirs. As I reported, I've never found a safe way to open any of my Apo-Nikkors. I also have a few Apo-Skopars that don't look like their elements are in normal cells. I don't think it is safe to generalize as you did.

Cheers, and thanks again to CJ,

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Leigh, I have a number of process lenses whose elements are mounted in normal cells that screw into the fronts and rears of their barrels. G-Clarons, Apo-Ronars, Apotals, Apo-Saphirs. As I reported, I've never found a safe way to open any of my Apo-Nikkors. I also have a few Apo-Skopars that don't look like their elements are in normal cells. I don't think it is safe to generalize as you did.
    Dan,

My statement was:
    "This appears to be for a process camera. Not designed to be mounted in a shutter, which is why you it's not arranged in two cells. If you did mount it, the shutter diaphragm would need to be where the existing diaphragm is located within the lens.
    That's probably impossible."

It pertained specifically to the lens that's the subject of this thread, and I believe it's correct. It's not a generalization.

If a lens is not designed to work with an interposed shutter, it would be very difficult to make it do so.
    If a lens IS designed to work with an interposed shutter, as is true of a barrel lens with cells, then likely it will.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.