Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epson 4990 heads-up

Re: Epson 4990 heads-up

The real conundrum is when you later need to maximize a print and get at detail that was left on the table with prosumer flatbeds. When you've got the need to go big, it's not only time for a PMT re-scan, but factor in the time-sink of redoing all the Photoshop post... And perhaps the need to closely approximate what the existing color balance on smaller prints, which may not be possible. At some point, PMT drum scanners start to look very attractive versus 3 distinct CCD scanners and workflows.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan J. Eberle View Post
    The real conundrum is when you later need to maximize a print and get at detail that was left on the table with prosumer flatbeds. When you've got the need to go big, it's not only time for a PMT re-scan, but factor in the time-sink of redoing all the Photoshop post... And perhaps the need to closely approximate what the existing color balance on smaller prints, which may not be possible. At some point, PMT drum scanners start to look very attractive versus 3 distinct CCD scanners and workflows.
    Wow... I fully understand your point. But an old fart like me with barely a few images left in him with limited income... drum scanners are probably better left to the young and/or professionals. A cheap flatbed scanner for up to 16x20 from 4x5 can be just the ticket and... photoshop adjustment layers, for the most part... can be re-scaled to ultra-high resolution scans. If we old fyookers REALLY want a last hoorah or two we can save up for a couple of professional drum scans. Once we old fyookers are gone... whose gonna give a damn anyway? Money wasted on vanity.

Well I tried to pull the trigger, and it's out of stock now.

4990s go fast no matter where you find them.
    I did have a 16x20 printed from a 6x7 negative scanned on the 4990. I sold it. My client liked it. The hardware behind the scenes didn't matter. A 16x20 from 4x5 would be easy.

Wayne
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

From the comparisons I've seen there's been no detectable increase in scan quality since the 4870 came out.

Quote Originally Posted by John Rodriguez View Post
    From the comparisons I've seen there's been no detectable increase in scan quality since the 4870 came out.
    No matter - now I got myself convinced into buying one and the 4990s are gone I'll probably buy a new v700, if I don't just talk myself into the 750.

Kind of a side question here - I have a 4990 which does a great job generally, but I'm having a problem scanning 4x5s that are commercial shots with a black-white fade or gray bkgnd with a hot spot on the product. I'm getting a magenta/green cross through the area where the tone changes. Would I be better off getting a v750, or silverfast AI? I already have Silverfast for my Nikon 9000 and it works very well. Thanks !
    r.j. phil
    www.rjphil.com
    N.E. Large Format Photography Collective

I get really excellent results from 4x5 or MF film scanned on my v750. With care I can get really good (B&W) 35mm film scans as well. An outstanding 16x20 output from 4x5 film should not be a challenge at all assuming a quality neg/transp and a quality printer. I highly recommend using Silverfast Ai.