Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Will I get beaten up if ...

Will I get beaten up if ...

... I post images on the forum shot using a Linhof Techno and a digital back?

I'm having an identity crisis as the techno largely replaces my Toyo 45AII. I'll be shooting 6x7 roll film, plus digital. Am I considered large format still? as the techno certainly similar features to the Toyo.

Thanks
    Paul

Re: Will I get beaten up if ...

Oh, let's get all nerdy! Is it a 4x5 back, or 6x7cm or what?

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

If it's not 4x5, it's not large format. Others will argue with me on this, but they're wrong.

Which is not to say you can't post the images. Try "safe haven for tiny formats" in the lounge.

Just don't try to post them at APUG. (winking smiley)
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    If it's not 4x5, it's not large format.
    Which is not to say you can't post the images. Try "safe haven for small formats" in the lounge.
    I agree.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Not beat up, but you'll probably get tongue-lashed and publicly branded as "one of the masses". Not like many of the "elitists" here(not myself, I shoot both film and digi for work and pleasure) .

Just kidding. Its great that you'd like to share your photographs with us, however, the smallest format generally accepted here is 4x5 sheet film, so I have a feeling that digitally-captured photographs, or those made on rollfilm(despite being on a "view camera") will be considered "uncouth". There are a great deal of other forums where that would be great, feel free to link to it.

But now that the "cats out of the bag" so to speak, you might want to make sure to label which is which, film capture or digital.

Here we're all about film, and many of us relish a bit of solidarity despite the onslaught of digital mania and the invasive nature it can have on our lives

-Dan

p.s. how you liking the Techno? I got to fondle one at Samy's here in LA, but haven't used one. Seemed great for digital, but for film(even rollfilm) it seemed a bit overkill IMO. But very nicely thought out overkill

Actually he may get dragged out into the noon sun, drowned in a vat of warm exhausted D76, and buried at a crossroads at midnight with a tripod leg through his heart.

But no, no one will actually beat him up.

"What is the Large Format Photography Forum all about?

The purpose of the forum is to provide a place for discussion of topics of particular interest to large format photographers. We especially encourage questions which will help build a repository of knowledge about the tools and techniques of large format photography, as opposed to "shopping" questions. For the purposes of this forum, we define "large format" as being essentially 4x5, or larger, sheet film. We do, however, allow what would otherwise be considered "medium format" sizes, IF exposed in a view camera (e.g. with a roll-film adapter), technical, or old-style press camera (e.g. the various Graphic cameras)."

I believe digital "medium format sizes", if exposed on a view camera, have been allowed here in the main forums.

So no need for an identity crisis, getting beat up, or even a tongue lashing for that matter.

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Actually he may get dragged out into the noon sun, drowned in a vat of warm exhausted D76, and buried at a crossroads at midnight with a tripod leg through his heart.

But no, no one will actually beat him up.
    Unless he uses a 4x5 sensor, and then everything's juuuuust fine. Or how about a scanning back using mirrors and an "electric eye" tube, with the output going to either punch cards or paper tape.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    Unless he uses a 4x5 sensor, and then everything's juuuuust fine. Or how about a scanning back using mirrors and an "electric eye" tube, with the output going to either punch cards or paper tape.
    Yep! That sounds perfect! I have a few of those tubes, also a couple photomultiplier tubes.

So... if I shoot 4x5in sheet film and crop to 6x12cm that's LF. But if I shoot 6x12cm roll film with a 4x5 camera that's not LF. Hmm... yeah, I guess that's technically correct.