Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ilford Delta 100 Sheet Film, Observations Please

jadphoto

Re: Ilford Delta 100 Sheet Film, Observations Please

Greg,

If you haven't worked with T grain films before, the T-Max and Delta families are both tabular grained films, be advised that they require a bit more care in processing than you might be used to. They all have very little tolerance for processing variables such as time, temperature, dilution, and, as far as I know, water quality (PH). For example, temperature should be within plus/minus 1/2 degree F. Not the plus/minus 2 degrees F that most B&W darkroom folks recommend. I also mix my developer(s) with distilled water just to eliminate one more variable.

If I remember correctly there is an excellent article by John Sexton on T-Max films in the archives. A lot of the information should apply to Delta films as well.

Just standardize your processing and you should be fine. I use Rodinol with T-Max films, but with Kodak's issues of late, I'm going to do some testing on Delta films just in case.

JD

You are over thinking it. I tray develop it by inspection with IR viewer, for an unknown time in Pyrocat 2:2:100 at an unknown temperature, probably about 25 C, and it comes out spot on every time. I just print with the same tissue and contrast every time and maybe 1 in 3 negatives needs a minor change in contrast if I want a final print, and that is due to exposure not development. Negatives scan fine too. Its important not to underexpose it though, for alt printing, but thin negatives scan well. Seems to love exposure. Its bulletproof. Better than FP4.

Drew Wiley

Other than tabular grain, about the only thing it has in common with TMax 100 is that it's
    a slick film very prone to Newton rings. I'd recommend AN glass on the base side of the film
    for either enlargment or contact printing. You either like this film or you don't. I didn't find
    it particularly versatile given the lighting ratios I typically enounter. Favors the highlights
    and upper midtones at the expense of shadow separation, even if you rate is down around
    50. TMX on the other hand is pretty steep in the lower part of the curve, and the one thing you don't want to do with it is overexpose. Totally different animals.

Thanks everyone. I'll look forward to doing some testing. All in all it sounds like a film that will work out well. I've used Delta in the long past in 35 & Kodak's TMY-2 lately....so I don't think there will be too much adjustment to be made on my part.
    The prints will tell the real story...

I just picked up my Delta 4x5 100 contact sheets from the lab. This past weekend I photographed a friends barn that he completely restored. I told him I needed to photograph the barn in black and white before he paints it red. The results are beautiful. I'm in love with Delta 100. My CC402 and Super Angulon 121 with yellow filter performed flawlessly. I'm so happy with the results since there is not a single thing that could be done at the printing stage that would improve the images. It was early afternoon sun and I metered off the barn boards through my yellow filter. The film handled everything well with nice snappy contrast and perfect detail in the shadows. Oh, I must mention that the 121 SA, with it's great coverage, is a gem for this type of work since I cranked the front standard all the way up. I am stocking up on Delta 100.I'm having a 16X20 made and can't wait to get the print.

Here is my barn image on Delta 100. It may be a little fuzzy. I copied the contact sheet with my Nikon D40. Just wanted to share the nice results I got with the film.