If anyone is interested in cold weather performance of LF (8x10 and 4x5) cameras I just spent a week photogoraphing a story using both the Phillips Compact II 8x10 and the Toyo 45A.

A couple of days were spent at the Diavik Diamond mine on the Barren Lands, the rest around Yellowknife and out at the Dogrib communities of Rae Edzo and Rae Lakes. Probably 60% of the work was outside. Temperatures ranged from -32 to -34c out on the Barrens (+wind). Shooting today temeperatures were -40c to -36c.

I must say I was impressed by the performance of both these cameras. I have used the Toyo in these temperatures before, but not the Phillips, and not for the extended periods outdoors that I did this week. Both cameras performed flawlessly (even if I didn't...). Nothing broke or seized up. The synthetic bellows on both remained flexible with no problems. Both also coped very well from going from cold to warm interiors back out to cold again. The cameras were able to function outside longer than I was most of the time.