Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which would you buy, Synchro Compur or Copal

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Which would you buy, Synchro Compur or Copal

If you have a choice of the same lens, in the same condition, and a similar age and selling for a similar price, which would you buy?

Would you go for the slightly newer Copal shutter or the slightly older Synchro Compur with it's extra blades in the iris (which purportedly gives better bokeh)?

Just curious as I am looking at buying a 240mm Symmar S f5.6 and the supplier has two in stock, one in a Copal shutter and the other in a Synchro Compur, price is very similar as is the condition and the serial numbers.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Which would you buy, Synchro Compur or Copal

Either, with no preference except condition.

FWIW, I'm in the process of buying some old Compur shutters (very round apertures) to test my late-model lenses with. From what I've seen, after much research, the shape of the iris has as much to do with "blur quality" as lens design. If I like what I see I'll have the shutters CLA'ed, new aperture scales made, and will mothball the new Copal shutters. That's a BIG "IF" though and YMMV.

The Compur shutters are of much more robust design and construction than the Copals.

Of course, they're also older, since they've been out of production for some years now, and Copals are current production.

Copals are excellent reliable shutters, but if I wanted a shutter that would outlast me, I'd get a Compur.

Some people worry about getting them repaired, but there are still lots of parts available. I have a large stock of parts.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Compur.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

I prefer Compurs but I think they require more frequent maintenance than Copals. Like a fine German automobile versus a Toyota ;-p

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I prefer Compurs but I think they require more frequent maintenance than Copals. Like a fine German automobile versus a Toyota ;-p
    And like fine German cars, the frequency of maintenance has much to do with how that maintenance is performed.

That's all good, I was a little concerned about the bokeh issue, and all being similar, age, price and condition I would personally have expected the Compur to give better Bokeh with it's multiple bladed iris.

The two lenses I was looking at were both Schneider 240mm f5.6 Symmar S in Exc++ condition, one in a Copal 3 shutter ser 14,300,000 for £225 and one in slightly better condition in a Compur 3 ser 13,800,000 for £240.

Another reason for me to be happier with the one in the Compur, is that it comes in a Sinar lensboard, so even more reason to for me to be happy.

As both lenses are exactly the same I would expect the bokeh to be better from the shutter wih the more rounded aperture blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bray View Post
    That's all good, I was a little concerned about the bokeh issue, and all being similar, age, price and condition I would personally have expected the Compur to give better Bokeh with it's multiple bladed iris.

The two lenses I was looking at were both Schneider 240mm f5.6 Symmar S in Exc++ condition, one in a Copal 3 shutter ser 14,300,000 for £225 and one in slightly better condition in a Compur 3 ser 13,800,000 for £240.

Another reason for me to be happier with the one in the Compur, is that it comes in a Sinar lensboard, so even more reason to for me to be happy.

As both lenses are exactly the same I would expect the bokeh to be better from the shutter wih the more rounded aperture blades.
    The number and shape of aperture blades will influence the shape of the out of focus highlights. Nothing else.

[QUOTE=E. von Hoegh;889875]The number and shape of aperture blades will influence the shape of the out of focus highlights. Nothing else.[quote]

Quite, and that can make quite a difference at wide apertures on a portrait lens.