Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which would you buy, Synchro Compur or Copal

Re: Which would you buy, Synchro Compur or Copal

Number of blades also influences how sun stars and specular highlights are rendered.

The early rimset Compur, Rapid Compur and then Synchro Compur are by far my most reliable shutters, I find the earlier dial set Compurs accurate as well but they unfortunately weren't made to the modern size standards.

Ian

I don't know about right now but after WWII, Compurs failed at very high rates, 10% or more in warranty. Most of my heavy experience with LF lenses was 60's, 70's, and 80's. The most reliable shutters I have ever seen were Seikosha, followed by Copal, and Rapax. Late Ilex shutters (mid 1960's through early 80's) were very reliable until the company started to fail due to the loss of the brilliant Pres. M. Kiner. My considerable experience with lenses and shutters tells me than ALL self cocking shutters will fail early in their lives.

Lynn

Don't forget about cold weather performance when testing/examining shutters. I had a Synchro Compur stop functioning in cold weather, while my newer Copal is fine. Does this mean the Copal is better? Who knows, but it does mean that you should keep this in mind when buying and do a test (put it in a freezer in a plastic bag) before using in the field.

Flutots will tell you Compur parts are a problem since they were discontinued. For that reason I'd prefer Copal, but I've never had one that she can't get right without new parts.

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    I had a Synchro Compur stop functioning in cold weather, while my newer Copal is fine. Does this mean the Copal is better?
    No. It means somebody put the wrong lubricant in the Compur escapement.
    The Copal probably had the original factory lube, which I expect is designed for a wide temperature range.

There are a few different lubricants suitable for shutters, some of which work better at low temperatures.

We used to set up Nikon F2 cameras for use in Antarctica using special low-temperature lubricants.
    I did that to my wife's F2 when she went to Antarctica. (You best do it right when SWMBO is involved!)

- Leigh
    Last edited by Leigh; 21-May-2012 at 17:39.
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    The number and shape of aperture blades will influence the shape of the out of focus highlights. Nothing else.
    Yeah I tend to call all that bullshit bokeh myself, no matter what the technical definitions are. If I shoot into the trees and sun, I want circles - not hexes. Bokeh smokeh otherwise.

Of course if you shoot a modern shutter with only seven blades wide open, it is a round aperture.

BTW later Compurs had penta and hex openings, bummer.

No BS, Frank. Not in my opinion. I've researched this quite a bit and, although I've little understanding of lens design (controlled chromatic aberration), there's no denying the advantage of apertures that are more round. But I've some specific image qualities that I'm looking for.

Any aperture wide open is definitely "round". I don't usually shoot wide open.

I don't mean BS I guess, I've had the Aero and the Verito and go out of my way for round apertures too. Plus I fool around with exotic 35mm lenses sometimes. But I don't think most photographers know what good or bad bokeh is - look at how they gush over Aero Ektars just because they are short depth of field photos. Or get all excited about swirling backgrounds and other cheap party tricks like that ;-p

I gave up worrying about it, I just don't like cheap hexagonal sunspots in my photos, otherwise the subtleties are lost on me.

Frank... I agree. All I intended to state is that round apertures seem to make prettier images in the out-of-focus regions... as do some types of optical designs. Everything is a compromise but angular apertures (stop signs) are not one of those "technically necessary" compromises... other than cheap offerings. It's a compromise by the latest shutter manufacturers being -- "CHEAP".

Are we going through yet another Renaissance?