Thread: Graflok back - help needed.

Graflok back - help needed.

I have a 5x4 Pacemaker Graphic Graflock focus frame but no camera back and need some help please, just some photos and rough dimensions. The focus frame was bought assuming it would fit a Super Graphic but they differ so it's now spare (I managed to eventually find a Super Graphic back). I'm planning to use it instead to make a new back for one of my British half plate cameras.

Could someone let me have some photos of how the Pakemaker Graflok back fits, really just the part where the arms fits, it's different to the other Graflok backs I have.

Ian

Re: Graflok back - help needed.

Hi Ian,

Ebay is a good resource to examine the various backs that come with the Graflex 4x5 cameras, I learned a lot from ebay photos about 4x5 Grafloks

I believe there is also a web site devoted to Graflex cameras. I think I've seen it posted on this site,m so you might do a search based on that.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Thanks, I have looked at images on various websites including ebay but none show the area where the arm locks well, actually the sliders often obscure the area. I do use Graflex.org so can ask there if needed.

I've already decided to use L shaped brass edging alongside the mahogany edges around the focus panel, it's how much I'll need to cut out for the arm, some more detailed photos would just cut the experimenting. What surpised me when restoring my Super Graphic was how differently Gralok backs fit/attach depending on the make and sometimes model.

Ian

What I have is Anniversary Graphic, I always assumed that graflock backs were
    the same, IanG do these help ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails anniGraf02.jpg   anniGraf03.jpg  

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/graflex...ed/graflex.htm

Mike Butkus has three manuals on his site for the anniversary model.

Hi Ian,

It is quite amazing how the various "Graflocking" activities really work, when I developed my special proprietary "Screw-Down" Grafloker parts for my own special 4x5 back for 110 and 900 series Polaroid cameras it was a rather simple matter to figure out the slots in a film holder or... if it had like "Rails' such that a Polaroid 550, 545, or 405 has, it was actually rather easy to sort out, PM me and I can show you more realistic details of how "Graflocking" really works out. I based mine on a Polaroid 545 and as it worked out this formula worked for all others

Quote Originally Posted by gleaf View Post
    http://www.butkus.org/chinon/graflex...ed/graflex.htm

Mike Butkus has three manuals on his site for the anniversary model.
    His account has been suspended !!!! It's a useful resource so I hope he gets it sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
    What I have is Anniversary Graphic, I always assumed that graflock backs were
    the same, IanG do these help ?
    Those photos help, thanks Jim. I didn't think Anniversary Graphics used a Graflok back, maybe it was changed some time.

Steve, thanks, I'm going to get some brass this morning and will be experimenting later today with some scrap wood - I'll email you if I have problems (you've just sold me the lens cells on APUG).

Hopefully I'll get it sorted out today then I can proceed with making the new mahogany/sapele back.

Ian

Hi Ian
    The Graflok back has some little hooks that the silver coloured tangs on the focusing screen frame hook onto. The hooks are part of the metal moulding of the Graflok back frame.If you can make those you are a better man than me Gunga Din. Consider if you must make one rather than buy one. A Graflex back as fitted to Graflex SLR's and also to some Speed Graphics rather than a Graflok or even a Spring back.The focusing frame detaches to mount holders and roll film holdesr bag mags etc, I would imagine it would be much easier to make.

I guess the question I was asking was how to make the part the Graflok arms lock intom which is a casting on Graflex backs. I'm going to use two brass edges to hold the locking pin, see the images below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	halfplateback-sm.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	88445

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	halfplateback-edge-sm.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	88444

Ian