Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drying Expert drum

Re: Drying Expert drum

I load wet with full tubes and only dry it when I'm through.

Quote Originally Posted by timparkin View Post
    BE VERY CAREFUL WITH A BLOW DRYER!!

I wrecked an expert drum when I dried it with a hair dryer - I assumed the plastic inside the drums was as thick as the plastic at the top - it isn't! It's very thin blown plastic and shrinks with heat so that the drum touches the back of the film.. Very annoying. However, I do now have two drum tops and they're the most difficult to dry.

Tim
    Tim- I use the blow dryer on the cold setting. Haven't had any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggywag View Post
    ...I use the spong, but I dont feel it gets perfectly dry...
    Drying efficacy of the sponge rods depends on how old yours is. Early production used natural sponges, which are highly absorbent and, when starting with a dry sponge, leave the chambers perfectly dry. They even have enough capacity left to dry the top surface (where chamber tops connect.

Later production sponge rods use synthetic sponges. They are close to worthless, saturating after wiping out just a couple of chambers, even if the drum is inverted and all chambers drained of water to the maximum extent possible. Fortunately, I have a two early sponge rods to use with all my Expert drums.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Fortunately, I have a two early sponge rods to use with all my Expert drums.
    That is fortunate! Otherwise you might be forced to try attaching a sponge to a stick, and that seems like an insurmountable technical challenge.

I don't worry about getting my chambers perfectly dry, and I've never had a problem.

If you don't get the chambers dry, the film can stick when inserting it.

When I use the sponges, I look into each tube and have to tilt the sponge in order to smear any water droplets. The sponge does not absorb all the water, but it can break the surface tension of the droplets so they evaporate much more quickly.

Paper towels are compressed dust. I know some people have good results, but I won't use them.

Not all blow driers have a setting with no heat. If I resort to a blow drier, I never use heat because of the delicate nature of the inner drums and because I don't want a heated drum when I am developing film.

For BTZS tubes, you can wrap a flour sack towel (no dust) around a dowel rod and jam it in there. I would never do that with a Jobo!

retrogrouchy

I roll up a cotton lint-free teatowel ("glass cloth"), stuff it in there and wind it around a bit. Or just stick the film in wet and do a prewash so that it's completely wet.

Can I slightly hi-jack this topic and ask if caffenol developer will harm my Jobo 3005 drum?

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jonreid View Post
    Can I slightly hi-jack this topic and ask if caffenol developer will harm my Jobo 3005 drum?

Jon
    It will make the drum smell like sh$t and make you want to throw up, but other than that you should be ok.

Hmm,
    Ok. Glad I asked.

Hello Tim.

I also have an ATL 2300, my question for you....you mentioned you use the expert drum, does it fit right on the 2300?? or is there some things you need to change??

thanks for the info !!

Ralph

www.ralphduke.com