Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Star D Tripod

litleblu

Star D Tripod

I have a Star D Conquest tripod. Since it was my fathers, I would imagine it was manufactured in the early 50's.
    My question is, anybody know of any information on the company or a repair shop that I can purchase any parts for the tripod? There is a broken locking mechinisim for the head that cranks up and down. I would kind of like to get the thing repaired since it really is the only tripod that works well with my Rolleiflex 3.5 and 2.8 (same vintages as the tripod).

Thanks Bill.
    Last edited by litleblu; 27-Sep-2006 at 23:41.

Re: Star D Tripod

IIRC, Star D re-badged equipment from other manufacturers -- for example, there was a Star D version of the Tiltall tripod. I don't know what Star D called it, butTiltall parts would fit that one.

So you'd have to identify the original design of your Star D Conquest tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gentile View Post
    IIRC, Star D re-badged equipment from other manufacturers -- for example, there was a Star D version of the Tiltall tripod. I don't know what Star D called it, butTiltall parts would fit that one.

So you'd have to identify the original design of your Star D Conquest tripod.
    I have a Marchioni Tiltall and a Star D tripod and the handles from the Marchioni will fit the Star D, but the locking mechanisms, legs, and column do not.
    Michael

I found this page a while ago. It might be of interest to you.

http://www.plumeltd.com/tiltall.htm

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Daily View Post
    I have a Marchioni Tiltall and a Star D tripod and the handles from the Marchioni will fit the Star D, but the locking mechanisms, legs, and column do not.
    Michael
    Whoodathunk! I also have the Marchioni Bros. version, but I assumed that Star D and Leica/Tiltall parts would fit it. The sure look interchangeable.

Thanks for bringing that out, Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I found this page a while ago. It might be of interest to you.

http://www.plumeltd.com/tiltall.htm
    Phil,

I have that site Bookmarked, too. But after reading Michael's post, I'm no longer sure which of these parts will fit my old pod.

Regardless, I don't think any of this will help Litleblu since he referred to a head which "cranks up and down" on hs Star D. That's not a re-badged Tiltall.

Star D is a foreign knock off of the Quality Tiltall.

My Tiltall was purchased in the late `60`s. Star D came later.

Star D ended up being owned by Fred Albu who also owned Camera Barn a large camera store in NYC and the Uniphot distribution company who, among other products, was the distributor for Hoya.

Marchoni sold the Tiltall to Leica USA who manufactured it for a few years and then sold the Tiltall line to Star D who then sold two versions. the Titall and the Star D copy.

Uniphot has been out of business for about 25 to 30 years. The Tiltall went off the market when Uniphot was closed. The tools and trademark were for sale by the Uniphot trustees and after a few years was purchased by the Chinese company that makes and sells it today.

Under Uniphot several Star D tripods were sold and Star D also made tripods in the 50s as an independant company before Fred bought the company.

There is no sucessor company to Uniphot or Star D and neither has existed for 25+ years so parts would have to be made. A replacement tripod would be more cost effective then repairing.
    Last edited by Bob Salomon; 4-Oct-2006 at 13:17. Reason: error

littleblu

I, also, have a Star D Conquest. From your description it is probably identical to yours. I purchased it in 1955, along with a Voightländer 35mm from a shop in Amarillo, Texas. The camera has long since disappeared, but the tripod is still as good as new.

If the tripod has sentimental value to you (your father's) I would be happy to see if I can make the necessary repair parts for you. (No Charge!)_ I have a rather complete machine shop and, at the age of 73, little else to do with my time!!!

I would need you to identify the broken part(s) and I can then disassemble mine to get a pattern.

I am trying to repair a Star D for my son . The smallest ( lowest ) leg section won't tighten and I can't seem to get the top removed from the large section to get the smaller one out. Do you have any suggestions?

Phil