Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Was there a sign for you that you weren't (or were) a LF photographer?

Re: Was there a sign for you that you weren't (or were) a LF photographer?

I feel like a LARGE format photographer because every time I use my 4 x 5 I feel like it is too small - although it IS handy to take on the road. Love my 5 x 7 Linhof that I bought new in 1970 or so - it ISN'T too small. And 8 x 10 ISN'T too big. I really like thinking about the image before I set up the camera and again when I see it on the Ground Glass - I find it really relaxing to spend an hour or two on each exposure. Or more.

Oh yeah - I have two Alexander Tubas as well. Maybe that makes me a large format tubist or something. They sound so damned good that it's worth fighting the strange intonation and all the tricks and oddball fingerings one has to employ to get the desired result. Just like the cameras I guess

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	59Chevy.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	74430

1959 Chevy...8 x 10 Linhof...Wollensak 159mm...Tri-X

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    I feel like a LARGE format photographer because every time I use my 4 x 5 I feel like it is too small - although it IS handy to take on the road. Love my 5 x 7 Linhof that I bought new in 1970 or so - it ISN'T too small. And 8 x 10 ISN'T too big. I really like thinking about the image before I set up the camera and again when I see it on the Ground Glass - I find it really relaxing to spend an hour or two on each exposure. Or more.

Oh yeah - I have two Alexander Tubas as well. Maybe that makes me a large format tubist or something. They sound so damned good that it's worth fighting the strange intonation and all the tricks and oddball fingerings one has to employ to get the desired result. Just like the cameras I guess

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	59Chevy.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	74430

1959 Chevy...8 x 10 Linhof...Wollensak 159mm...Tri-X
    Profoundly put, Jim!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Thanks - I have my moments of profundity, few as they may be. Moments of profanity on the other hand...

Maybe I should call myself a large large format photographer. Which is why I play Tuba. I was one of only two 4th grade students in our school big enough to pick one up.

My band director when I started saw me walk through the door, and immediately hit the "Potential Tuba Player Action Plan Alarm" button. What followed was classic educational manipulation at its finest. My mother, having come along to make sure that whatever I chose would fit in the car (my sister's 'cello's pin had poked a hole in the door panel of my mother's beloved 1963 Valiant), was hopelessly outclassed by the onslaught. She just walked away shaking her head, and told my father we'd need a bigger car.

It was another 15 years before I even owned my own tuba, and 18 or 20 years after that before a real large-format tuba came my way (a Holton 345). But the pattern of bigger-is-better was set early on.

I was the only guy in college to gravitate to the Linhof owned by the architecture school where I was studying, and the pull of that gravity has never diminished, despite my occasional resistance to its effects.

By the way, Jim, now that you have exposed your affinity for Alexander tubas, you've forced me to remember way back, probably 7 or 8 years ago and longer, when you were active on Tubenet. You and I had a number of good conversations on the old Tubenet, which I miss. It is a small world indeed.

Rick "who knew that name was familiar" Denney

Did anyone else strap the case of their university's 4x5 rail camera on top of his Kelty pack and head up into the high country? (I think it was a Linhof) I probably looked pretty silly, but my legs could get me anywhere in those days! Probably 1980 give or take a year.

PS -- we had a couple of Valiants of that vintage -- my dad bought them on auction from the City of Los Angeles. Push "P" for Park!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Did anyone else strap the case of their university's 4x5 rail camera on top of his Kelty pack and head up into the high country? (I think it was a Linhof) I probably looked pretty silly, but my legs could get me anywhere in those days! Probably 1980 give or take a year.
    I still have the Kelty pack I made to hold my Calumet 45NX, with the rail crosswise across the top opening and the body hanging down into the pack. Heavy SOB. I hiked down into the Maze at Canyonlands with it, but the film was all ruined by something (radiation? chemistry?). I should print those pictures as an "alternate process".

My legs might still be up to it, but the lungs to which they are attached couldn't possibly!

Rick "never again" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    I still have the Kelty pack I made to hold my Calumet 45NX, with the rail crosswise across the top opening and the body hanging down into the pack. Heavy SOB. I hiked down into the Maze at Canyonlands with it, but the film was all ruined by something (radiation? chemistry?). I should print those pictures as an "alternate process".
    My first 4x5 was a Toyo 45E monorail, got in a trade for a mountain bike. I packed it in a very worn Lowe Alpine Systems rucksack with the rail sticking out the top. Carried it several places and the camera was actually nice to use in the field. Broke the ground glass at Bryce Canyon and had nasty shards inside the pack among all the other stuff. That led to a new Toyo 45A with its folding rear hood, which I still have from 1987.