Thread: My Sinar F 4x5 + Canon 20d digital back

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: My Sinar F 4x5 + Canon 20d digital back

Ken Lee asked:

Can anyone provide a link to one of these images at more substantial size, or post some larger images here ?

Sliding and stitching aside, I'd like to see what I could get in one image, with my 600mm APO Nikkor. Depending on sensor size, the equivalent "magnification" should be rather large.

Here's an example I've posted before with a long lens, but the goal isn't super-high resolution really. The lens is a Verito, and the objective was more about making use of the visual qualities of the lens by using the sliding back and the stitching technique--

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidag...57611396218001

Since I got my 5DII, I haven't really needed the kind of resolution I could get by stitching images from a sliding back on a view camera. Maybe the largest image where I might have used such a technique was a still life that ran a half page tabloid sized on paper that was a bit smoother and whiter than newsprint, and a 21 megapixel image was more than enough for that usage.

I have some still life test shots, too large to post here to show anything meaningful, from when I had a 40D with an APS-C sized sensor, and I could make a still life of around 9000x10500 pixels with a lens like the Zeiss 135/3.5 Planar, stitching 24 images. Shots with tilt or shift are likely to have some color fringing that may be reduced in Photoshop, but that probably depends in part on the lens. Here's a JPEG, half size, which makes about a 9Mb file.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/46160586/Ras...0D%2C50%25.jpg

A full sized 16-bit TIFF is about 100Mb.
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 19-May-2012 at 08:43.