Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Annular Eclipse - Exposure Experience?

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

Re: Annular Eclipse - Exposure Experience?

Not bad!

During the 2 1/2 minutes of annularity I ended up with an exposure of 30 seconds at f/128 shooting FP4 at 64 ISO. I did a second sheet at 1 minute. I will process the 12x20's on Wednesday. We'll see how they look.

Jehu, that is a fantastic image. This is with your details stated above (10 stop ND, 1/125, f64, 5 min interval)? So what makes it have such soft light/golden color look during bright daylight? The ND just reduces the amount of light evenly, so the soft light and color is coming from the total image result being somewhat under exposed, correct?
    Very nice.
    Dean Mikel

The Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by drm View Post
    Jehu, that is a fantastic image. This is with your details stated above (10 stop ND, 1/125, f64, 5 min interval)? So what makes it have such soft light/golden color look during bright daylight? The ND just reduces the amount of light evenly, so the soft light and color is coming from the total image result being somewhat under exposed, correct?
    Very nice.
    Thank you.
    Those settings are exactly what I used on Kodak VS100 slide film (4x5). I shot the eclipse at 5 minute intervals and then waited for the sun to disappear behind the Sierras. Then I shot the foreground. The result is a composite. I'm hoping to accomplish this composite on Ilfochrome soon. For now, Photoshop works.
    Yeah. I'm familiar with Photoshop. It's the place I buy my film.

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post
    Thank you.
    Those settings are exactly what I used on Kodak VS100 slide film (4x5). I shot the eclipse at 5 minute intervals and then waited for the sun to disappear behind the Sierras. Then I shot the foreground. The result is a composite. I'm hoping to accomplish this composite on Ilfochrome soon. For now, Photoshop works.
    Thanks that explains it. I couldn't see how all of that was coming together on one sheet of film. Great idea.
    Dean Mikel

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post
    Thank you.
    Those settings are exactly what I used on Kodak VS100 slide film (4x5). ...
    Absolutely beautiful!

I noticed the amazing quality of light during the eclipse...it was warmer, very diffuse, quite a bit darker and was just very easy and pleasing to the eye. It was weird to have dark-ish light, the same amount as at near sunset, but with the sun high in the sky and long-ish shadows on the ground.

The unique quality of light is something I will never forget. The closest I believe I have ever gotten to it is when I was photographing forest fires years ago for one of the papers here in Utah.

Hey Michael,
    30 seconds at f/128? Thats going to be one overexposed sheet of film. Mine was 1 second at f/ 90 1/2 and that was way to much. Let me know how it goes.
    Rich

I was in the shade...we'll see. I'm gonna process in Pyro next week...I didn't get around to it yesterday.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

The Eclispe found me at the Ocean Beach Lands End Visitors Center in San Francisco where several hundred had gathered to watch the eclispe. Three or four astronom enthusists with solar telescopes were in the crowd and representatives of the California Academy of Science were on hand passing out free solar glasses to those gathered. I had one frame left on a role of Rollei 400 IR film and took the image below with a 120mm Pentax soft focus lens on a P67II fitted with a Cokin 007 IR filter. I set the ISO to 6 and let the camera decide the exposure.

It's not a great picture IMO and I printed it this afternoon basically guessing at the exposure (33 seconds at F11) as Grade 2 on Oriental VCRC. An outgoing container ship is on the horizon and Seal Rock is in the immediate foreground.

Thomas