Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange Processing Marks With Kodak 160NC and VC

Celticexplorer

Strange Processing Marks With Kodak 160NC and VC

I was wondering if anyone has experienced some odd processing marks with NC and VC on sheet film?..I noticed it on some sheets a few months ago so have set about trying to find out the cause. So far I am a little stumped. It is hard to see on a negative and really only becomes apparent on a contact, print or scan. It is most apparent on a continuous tone such as a gray or blue sky. It is a strange ghosting or marbling effect that looks like part of the neg is being processed further than another. If the image has plenty of detail then you cannot see it, for example a forest scene. I shot some gray walls out of focus so that I had a nice flat gray neg and ran it through 4 different professional labs in London and they all seem to have it in some way. Tomorrow I will run some Fuji 160 to see if it is a Kodak problem or if it's a process problem. At the moment my money is on the fact that it takes quite a while for the hanger to move from the dev to the wash and during that time parts of the film where the dev is adhering to are being pushed...a friend who runs a lab and who also had the problem suggested it only started when Kodak changed the emulsion from 160nc to 160 NC II .....I will keep you posted.

Re: Strange Processing Marks With Kodak 160NC and VC

I've been shooting a bunch of Portra lately and haven't seen this, though I'll keep an eye out.

Incidentally, I was looking at Kodak's website today for information on sheet film Portra and I don't see the product listed at all, even on the pro part of the site. Just 120 sized "pro" film. I hope this doesn't mean they are abandoning it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Kerner View Post
    Incidentally, I was looking at Kodak's website today for information on sheet film Portra ....
    they show it in the picture for Portra 400:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...l?pq-path=2987

-Dan

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

celticexplorer,

Which chemicals did you use and how did you process the film?

Steve
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

I pre wash my film to rinse out the anti-halation film coating. I do this for all my film color or b&w. I pre wash for 5 minutes before developer at same temperature. When using tanks or racks ..( anything other than a JOBO tank) i use very little, a dash of photo flo for pre wash it helps alot. If you are getting it when you are sending your film in to a lab. It might be a problem with freezer burn. Moisture on the film that freezes in patches. I have seen this before. See my post on film storage.

Celticexplorer

that's interesting...I don't freeze my film as I tend to buy a batch for a specific shoot but that's not to say that my provider has not frozen it before I have bought it...I have 8 sheets of 4x5 boxed and ready to go to the lab..2 x 160nc 2 x 160s 2 x 160ns 2 x Ektar 100 all shot at the same time and to be processed on the same hanger...this is to determine if it is Kodak specific...I will keep you posted...

Celticexplorer

Hi Steve..sorry I missed your post...These are developed in labs..so far 4 labs in London are showing the same marks..I will drum scan one tomorrow and post it..p

www.paulmurphy.com

There are two things that can cause uneven development. They are pre-washing and and drums that are not level.

According to JOBO's C-41 article, under no circumstances should you pre-wash the film. However, you should pre-warm the tank for 5 minutes in a water bath to help stabilize the developer temperature when it is added.

It is imperative that the drum itself is level. It is not good enough just to level the base or the machine. A drum that is not level will cause uneven development in the skies.

Hope this helps...

Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    they show it in the picture for Portra 400:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...l?pq-path=2987

-Dan
    Yeahbut, when you click the "Shop Now" button it isn't there!

This from Lightside in NYC...

Special C-41 processing line

To address certain inadequacies associated with automated processing, LTI New York has developed a special C-41 line particularly suited for photographers and artists shooting large format film. We operate an isolated Refrema processor with specifically adjusted temperature, speed, agitation, and processing times. The result is greater consistency in edge-to-edge development and the elimination of mottling in continuous tone areas (blue skys, grey backgounds, etc). This process is also recommended for greater saturation and contrast control.

This is a totally proprietary process and is operated independently of our daily processing runs. Special turnaround times and pricing apply.