Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lanovia Quattro, Heidelberg NexScan F4200, Scitex Eversmart, or . . .

Lanovia Quattro, Heidelberg NexScan F4200, Scitex Eversmart, or . . .

Which of these scanners, or like quality scanners, if any, would be worth purchasing without anything but the machine itself. I often find these machines for next to nothing, but I also know that it can cost a lot (not only money, but time) to find the necessary peripherals, software, etc., to make them run.

So my question is, which of these type of scanners may be worth my time, again, if any? Which of this class of scanner has enough users, third-party support, etc., to make it possibly worth a small initial investment of a $100 to $200 (it would probably cost me that much just to get one shipped to me, so even if free, it wouldn't be free for me.)?

I suspect the consensus may be just to forget it and wait for a complete system to pop up, which is the way I'm definitely leaning.

Re: Lanovia Quattro, Heidelberg NexScan F4200, Scitex Eversmart, or . . .

My experience suggests that pre-press 8-bit scanners designed for color transparency workflows don't work very well for scanning color negs. The question might be best framed as "Which orphaned scanners have 16-bit drivers, 3rd party software and dongle support?"

The follow-up question being, "Of those scanners, which have equivalent or better resolution and Dmax than an off-the-shelf Epson 750 (or even a 4990)?"

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Long View Post
    Which of these scanners, or like quality scanners, if any, would be worth purchasing without anything but the machine itself.
    Try a drum scanner if you're going to spend that kind of money...

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan J. Eberle View Post
    The follow-up question being, "Of those scanners, which have equivalent or better resolution and Dmax than an off-the-shelf Epson 750 (or even a 4990)?"
    I didn't even think this was on the table. Are the scanners like I mention not head and shoulders above, say, a V700, at least IRT resolution and Dmax?

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    Try a drum scanner if you're going to spend that kind of money...

Lenny
    Is there that little cost difference? Hassle factor is something I've also considered. I would love (and am anal enough to spend the time to learn and use) a drum scanner. If I can find a deal on one I'd be all for it. I see one for a little over a $1,000 right now, but I don't think it has a drum (or if it does, probably just one), and no mounting station. It does come with the Mac and software, though (Screen S1030AI).

Amazing that something like that can go for less than a used Nikon 5000ED. Seems it should be criminal.

It's now nearly one year since I bought a Howtek D4000. It has "jitter" (synchronization of rotational axis) and I have not been able to solve it. Build quality is a big issue, these devices were made by very small companies with limited resources and this shows in the whole mechanical design.
    Then I stumbled over a Scitex Eversmart Pro. No calibration slide, I'm looking for one for a few months now without any luck. The software is the wrong one (it is meant to work) and I spend about 400$ just for Software a specific SCSI->FW-Adapter and a G5 - still doesn't work!

The Nexscan might be a good scanner, but it is not capable of stitching, the mechanics are (just like with the Eversmarts) but it was never implemented in software, you cannot scan with high resolution large slides (the same is true about the Topaz).

You can be lucky and get a working drum scanner or Eversmart for a decent price or you pay very high prices for the so-called refurbished ones. Support for these machines is difficult, even when you have it (like Aztec or ICG) it is extremely expensive.

But I don't see another choice for high-quality large format scans - so good luck you too!

Thanks, Georgl. This is helpful information. I unfortunately live in Okinawa and most of the companies that used machines like these are in and around the major cities such as Tokyo, Osaka, and such. There are probably so few on island here that it'd be a miracle if I ever saw or even found out about one here. That being the case, I'd either have to get lucky and score something during very infrequent trips to the mainland, or buy and have something shipped sight unseen. Not very good circumstances, but what am I to do??? I guess milk this V700 for all it's worth and be patient.

Sorry your Howtek isn't working right, and about the Eversmart as well, both things I'd like to try to avoid.

I have a Fuji Lanovia Quattro. It REQUIRES the proper dongle for the specific OS you're running and the appropriate software. Only Fuji made software for their machines. If you find one working with the dongle there is a Fuji download site for the software or I could provide it. These are large heavy machines but do scan 16 bit and are extremely fast. They are about the fastest machine with high quality scans in the industry. The quality is comparable to the Eversmart Supreme.

Forgot to mention it also requires the diagnostic / calibration neg for focus set, registration etc., the 35mm calibration transparency and calibration print. Parts and service are hard to find. These items plus bulbs may be impossible to find.

I previously had a 5000 model Fuji which failed after six years. I purchased a spare 2750 for parts but the one part I needed had been removed from the parts machine. I found a like new Lanovia Quattro for $2000 and bought it.

I'm fortunate that I have the 500 page service manual, manuals and all the goodies plus the knowledge to keep it running. Setup /calibration requires the large 13x18 neg and detailed info on how to do it properly.

One other little detail, even if you have the proper dongle it requires the unlock code to be able to use it.

Thanks, Don, for some very good and detailed information. Of the high end scanners that do show up, the Quattro seems to be more often. I've only ever seen them as just the machine, nothing else. I do wonder if there is a dongle hidden in a small compartment sometimes. From the photos it looks like there may be a small space to store a couple necessary peripherals, but I just can't tell. Unfortunately, I'd think the dongle usually gets kept together with whatever computer was running it, and therefore separated from the machine.

Interestingly, I do know an engineer that works for Fuji. It would be a longshot still, I think, but maybe he worked on these at one time, or knows about them or someone who does. He has sent us free cameras before, but I'd really like a Lanovia

You can use program stitching with Nexscan and Topaz. Those are nice scanners. At least for 4"x5" it will work for Topaz. And on a Nexscan it would be easier even for 8"x10" or larger film.