Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Ebay extends refund period for buyers

Re: Ebay extends refund period for buyers

Sadly though there is no ''no return policy' on ebay as I have found out. If you write one single word about an item you are then(in ebay's eyes) stating its condition/appearance/whatever and a buyer can then use anything you have said to get off the hook and return the item because it is 'not as described'. Also remember that ebay will make a judgement based on the description/images/buyers claim and any e mails that may have transpired.

You may have seen a rise in sellers who give nothing as a description, this is the reason why.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by CP Goerz View Post
    ebay will make a judgement based on the description/images/buyers claim and any e mails that may have transpired.
    Ebay might actually read some of the email exchange between buyer and seller before making a decision. My last problem buyer was banned after I pointed out in an email exchange that he had left me negative feedback saying the item never came, and then in private emails asked for a partial refund saying (with pictures!) that the item wasn't as-described. A quick review of his feedback left to others shows he was running quite a scam. But it still took 2 months to get him banned and get the -ve removed.

There's a large format selling site on photo.net. I've used it several times as a seller and had good luck with it. No fees, no commissions, no special rules that I recall. The only downside I recall (haven't used it in a while) is that I don't think there's a feedback system so it's best used as a seller. I haven't been doing much selling lately but when I did I always listed there (and here if LF) before using ebay. I consider ebay a last resort. Fred Miranda also has a very active B/S forum but there's an annual fee to use it and it's geared almost entirely to digital.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

There's used to be a neighbor-to-neighbor feedback service on photo.net.
    Don't know if it's still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    There's a large format selling site on photo.net. I've used it several times as a seller and had good luck with it. No fees, no commissions, no special rules that I recall. The only downside I recall (haven't used it in a while) is that I don't think there's a feedback system so it's best used as a seller. I haven't been doing much selling lately but when I did I always listed there (and here if LF) before using ebay. I consider ebay a last resort. Fred Miranda also has a very active B/S forum but there's an annual fee to use it and it's geared almost entirely to digital.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Middleton View Post
    CP,

Just to be clear, each of these names represents a problematic transaction in the last 6 months?
    It appears to be a cumulative list. Still, that's a boatload of problems for one person to have. I have a few hundred sales, and my BBL has four names on it.

Interesting list, Andrew's. If you compare his 15 oct 2012 (post #53) with his 24 April 2013 list (post #58), you'll see that I'm not in the older one, am in the newer one. Look for danfromm.

What's especially interesting about it is that I've never ever bought anything from him. I have questioned his coverage claims in public and in private. I think its time to put him on my list of liars.

Quote Originally Posted by Phong View Post
    There's used to be a neighbor-to-neighbor feedback service on photo.net.
    Don't know if it's still there.
    They don't call it that any more but Community Tab > Member Recommendations gets you to something like that.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Interesting list, Andrew's. If you compare his 15 oct 2012 (post #53) with his 24 April 2013 list (post #58), you'll see that I'm not in the older one, am in the newer one. Look for danfromm.

What's especially interesting about it is that I've never ever bought anything from him. I have questioned his coverage claims in public and in private. I think its time to put him on my list of liars.
    That's the problem with sharing "blocked" lists: you never know if the blocker or the blockee is the one you should avoid.

A lot of us block people on ebay as a risk avoidance measure, not because we've had personal problems with them or even ever had bids. It's about avoiding bidders that seem to excessively give bad feedback, leave flaming, confused sounding feedback, or leave feedback about a 50 year old, $4 filter "was dirty", "smelled like smoke", etc. I do not want people like that bidding on my items, and taking chances with their behavior. It's the only method Ebay gives us now to have a meaningful "good buyer" feedback. I block them based on my own research.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    You block them based on your own research.
    I wonder how many people who "borrowed" this list actually did their own research before cutting and pasting all of the names into their own BBL? When a 12-year LFF member shows up on that list for no apparent reason, it should raise a red flag for other members, but most importantly for the owners of this site.

BTW, your personal BBL isn't the only tool eBay gives you. In fact, considering how many eBay members there are, it's probably the least useful tool available.