Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ebay extends refund period for buyers

Re: Ebay extends refund period for buyers

Interesting. I should have returned my Perfection 3200 scanner and if I had realized I could have made the seller pay shipping, I would have. Was advertised with photos including the film holders. Got just the scanner, no manuals, CDs or film holders. The only part I cared about was the film holders. Contacted the seller who admitted they just copied the description (which also clearly SAID the film holders were included) from Epson's description, they didn't have the holders, and would I like to return it? I knew I could return it but should have looked into the shipping bit. I didn't pay much for the scanner (forget now) shipping one way was at least half the price and I figured I'd have to pay shipping back and I'd just get a better scanning holder(s) anyway. So far I've not bought the BS holders.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    No, I'm not stupid. It was a BIN of $200 for a Nikon flash with a picture and simple description. The only indication of foul play was 0 feedbacks.

The scam was that the seller sent a postcard with delivery confirmation to a local address they found on mapquest. So according to the tracking number the item was delivered, to my town. But USPS does not specify an exact address for simple delivery confirmation with no insurance. I had no recourse except written statements, which Paypal would not accept.
    They don't look at the POD. They require sellers to enter the tracking number after the item is shipped, and when the USPS's electronic tracking reports it as delivered they accept that as fact. If they looked at postal receipts and signatures, they would get info like 'weight' and they would know that this is a scam. Sounds like someone has figured out how they operate, and found a loophole.

Yes, but they refused to accept any evidence like that. It was ridiculous. I had a continuous back-and-forth for over 6 months with Paypal and eBay about it before I finally conceded defeat.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

The PO will have record of type of package, its weight, and the postage paid.

It doesn't matter what the PO has, PayPal/eBay would NOT accept any written evidence. Furthermore, I believe that the scammers had found some loophole that they in fact did NOT have weight or other details.

Basically, I went BEYOND due diligence to get this resolved and I hit a wall at every turn but it was impossible. Please don't tell me that the PO had this or that, I did countless hours of research, inquisitions, and calls back and forth to a dozen different places. The loophole was simply there, and PayPal was unwilling to meet me halfway regarding my written statements*. I lost more money in time/stress in the long run!

*They said that they WOULD NOT accept any *.pdf or *.doc file over email to show them my written statements, due to "risk of viruses or trojans", nor did they take fax. This was the kicker that pissed me off.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Yeah... ePay and PayPay still suck... probably always will.

Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Do not offer refunds period.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    but can you say "no refunds" and then offer one at your discretion? That could be a way around a period longer than you're comfortable with. The scenario you describe is another possible problem.
    Yup. That's the way to do it.

You filter out more whiner bidders that way.

The Spelling and Grammar police have spoken. I knew they were here somewhere. The just pop up out of nowhere.....

Actually "baited breath" may be more correct in this instance, as when these things happen, it just makes you want to eat a handfull of worms.

I do not, and I teach my students to never offer a return policy. You may choose NOT to buy from me by not having one, but it seems to me that's surely your problem. Frankly, I think that two reasonable people, a buyer and a seller, will work out issues without having a stated return policy. I have great feedback at 100% and if that does not imply that I take care of my buyers, the person is probably not someone I want to do business with anyway.

If you don't want to raise your incidence of returns, simply do not open the door to that by having a stated return policy. It has never hurt my sales, or my buying and while I've had a few bumps in my transaction, every one has been worked out to happy happy. No RETURN POLICY here. Why involve eBay in that aspect of your business.

In the 7-8 years I have been selling/buying film camera's on eBay, and a lot of large format equipment, I have bought back a total of three items to appease a customer. No harsh words ever. I did to a partial refund on one deal, and I will tell you as an afterthought on that one, I will never do another partial refund. There are unscrupulous people who will buy from you and then dig you for a partial refund. The way I have stopped that, after that one partial refund, is to insist I will only back out the transaction and do a full refund.

Surprising how that stance "outs" the scammers.

eBay instructor Community Ed... community college level.

Kuzano, +1 on no refund policy and no partial refunds.

When I was selling actively I didn't state a refund policy. I sold a character a 600/9 Apo Ronar. After the lens was delivered (track all shipments!), the person sent me a very angry e-mail about it, insisted that it was filthy inside (not!) and that it wouldn't come clean (not!). I received his blast, seethed for a few hours, and then told him that the lens has passed pre-listing and pre-shipment inspections and that the cells didn't simply unscrew, set screws had to be removed first. If he would send it back by my selected shipping method, after I received in it the condition I'd shipped it in (clean, together and with the serial number of the lens I'd shipped) I'd refund purchase price and shipping both ways. A couple of days later I got a polite note to the effect that he'd bought a lot of process lenses that week and had confused mine with another. He even left + feedback.

And back then I sold a 55/8 Repro Claron in barrel to Tim Sharkey. He insisted it had fungus. I gave him the same response, he came back with a request for a partial refund. No, send the lens back for full reimbursement. He didn't, left + feedback and later sold the lens (remember, I keep serial numbers) as perfect. You're right, bluffs must be called.