Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Purple Sky and Green Ground ~ Portra 400 and Epson 700 workflow

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Purple Sky and Green Ground ~ Portra 400 and Epson 700 workflow

I've been using Portra 400 since, umm, Portra 400NC, and scanning mostly on an Epson 700. While I do not do a lot of landscape, I've been finding that a lot of mine seem to end up with green(er) land while the skies have too much magenta. Or I'll correct the sky towards green to get a cleaner blue and the land will go magenta. The yellow-blue balance seems OK but we know how yellow affects the green....

Is it me or is this film prone to cross curves? I can fix it by isolating one or the other but it would be nice to know my film and workflow is getting the color relationship right without making heroic measures. Thanks

Re: Purple Sky and Green Ground ~ Portra 400 and Epson 700 workflow

I run into that as well. It's not just Portra 400, I've seen it with Ektar and Portra 160 too, although the effect seems to be strongest with 400. I've only noticed it in sunrise/sunset lighting, and have assumed that the result was somehow due to the red layer getting overexposed. I haven't tried using a cooling filter yet to confirm, I just wind up doing local corrections.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Frank, what color calibration have you done with your film? Have you photographed a calibration target and run it through your software to produce an ICC file for that film type?
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

I would consider buying an iT8 target (transparency not printed) and profile the scanner. For me that made the biggest difference on my HP G4050 (I've only scanned 120 film so far).

Short of that you might look at ColorPerfect http://www.c-f-systems.com/Plug-ins.html a plug-in for PhotoShop. For me the iT8 target makes the biggest difference.

No, in fact I don't know how to profile my film. Can you point me in the right direction? I have one of those little XRite Color Checker Passport things I've used for digital and a Spyder 3 Calibrator.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

I use Profile Prism. It is used to create a profile for your printer, scanner, and "input device," aka film (or digital camera).

Photograph the target using whatever you consider to be "normal" lighting. I use outdoors noon day sun.
    Have the film developed at your normal lab, and then scan the target.
    Run the scanned image through Profile Prism to produce the profile
    When you scan that film in the future, select that profile for your scanner.

That should reduce your need for drastic color correction.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Bah.

Selective Color adjustment layer.

Is C-41 amenable to profiling with an iT8 target? I thought this process only worked with E-6 films.
    Peter Y.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter York View Post
    Is C-41 amenable to profiling with an iT8 target? I thought this process only worked with E-6 films.
    C-41 (or any color negative film) and E-6 (or any slide film) use the same lens and same data to produce the image. The software will invert that image from a negative, but the premise is the same. Get your spectrum of colors to match the correct spectrum of colors and you'll have the correct spectrum of colors. If your color spectrum is correct, then you invert, you'll have correct spectrum for the inverted colors.

I have not been able to find a defiitive answer on this, but I have read that color negative is, at best, a PIA to profile. All explanations seem to point to the characteristics of the orange mask - i.e., that it is not constant due to the scene shot, variances in development, or other factors.

If anyone has a deeper understanding of this, please chime in.

At the beginning of each photo session, if you photograph an iT8 target with color negative, then you can profile the film for each session, but not across all sessions.

It may be the case that a general profile will get Frank in the ballpark.
    Peter Y.