Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large format paper suggestions and supplies?

Large format paper suggestions and supplies?

Hey chaps,

I'm looking for some new paper for my Epson 3880. Currently I've been printing with the Epson Traditional Photo Paper, which I do like, but would be interested in trying some alternatives. Paper here in Australia is very, very expensive so I'm keen to purchase some from the US (where I assume it'll be cheapest) so would love some recommendations of suppliers and secondly can anyone recommend some alternative paper types? I'm printing 50/50 black and white/colour so paper to suit either.

Cheers!

Welly

Re: Large format paper suggestions and supplies?

What type of paper are you interested in, matte, glossy, semi-gloss?

I used Moab Entrada Natural and Moab Entrada Bright (both matte papers) for years and always liked them with my Epson printers (1160, 2200, 3800). Then Epson had a big sale on their Ultra-Premium Luster (a semi-gloss paper) a while back so I bought a box and ended up liking it a lot, the first semi-gloss paper I've really liked (tried the Harmon AL somethingorother, also tried a couple others that are supposed to closely resemble the old darkroom fiber base papers, they all looked too much like the darkroom RC paper to suit my tastes). I don't know how it compares in price to others but I like it and I know it isn't super-expensive so I'll stick with it for a while. But of course if you're looking for a matte or glossy paper it wouldn't suit you.

You could always buy a sampler kit and try different papers for yourself.

I mostly buy from www.atlex.com. I've been buying paper, inks, etc. from them for years. They used to be one of the least expensive sources. I don't know how they compare today, I haven't checked lately because I don't care. Their service has been excellent and I'm willing to pay a little more for good service.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Octogenarian

Hi Welly,

With the Epson 3880, and the K-3 inks, I have been making 16"x22" B&W display prints on Epson Premium Presentation Paper Matte.

Approx. $1.00 per 17"x22" sheet at B&H Photo.

When framed under glazing, it's difficult to tell exactly what grade of paper was used.

To my eye, this one looks like one of the more expensive papers.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    What type of paper are you interested in, matte, glossy, semi-gloss?

I used Moab Entrada Natural and Moab Entrada Bright (both matte papers) for years and always liked them with my Epson printers (1160, 2200, 3800). Then Epson had a big sale on their Ultra-Premium Luster (a semi-gloss paper) a while back so I bought a box and ended up liking it a lot, the first semi-gloss paper I've really liked (tried the Harmon AL somethingorother, also tried a couple others that are supposed to closely resemble the old darkroom fiber base papers, they all looked too much like the darkroom RC paper to suit my tastes). I don't know how it compares in price to others but I like it and I know it isn't super-expensive so I'll stick with it for a while. But of course if you're looking for a matte or glossy paper it wouldn't suit you.

You could always buy a sampler kit and try different papers for yourself.

I mostly buy from www.atlex.com. I've been buying paper, inks, etc. from them for years. They used to be one of the least expensive sources. I don't know how they compare today, I haven't checked lately because I don't care. Their service has been excellent and I'm willing to pay a little more for good service.
    Hi Brian,

Thanks for the tips. I'm mostly keen on matte and semi-gloss. I did have a look at the Atlex site and it seems they don't ship down here to Oz! So that's a little annoying, particularly as they had fantastic prices (paper was easily half the price compared with buying here). I shall figure something out and perhaps find some Stateside minions to send me some over!

I'll have a look for the Epson Ultra-premium paper and see how I get on. The sampler kit makes sense. I could probably pick up some of that here for about the same price.

Cheers!

Welly

Octogenarian

Welly,

On the B&H website, Epson Ultra Premium Presentation Paper Matte is still listed under it's previous name, Enhanced Matte Paper.

I just received my 3880 and a delivery of Epson's Exhibition Fiber and some Premium Photo Luster. I really like the Exhibition Fiber. The results are amazing. I probably would have liked the Premium Photo better had I not had the fiber to compare with. Looking at the Moab offerings, I might just try some of theirs as well.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

If you are using matte paper I will recommend Moab Entrada Bright.

Hahnemuhle wins every test I do here, based on my criteria, of course... I like the PhotoRag 308, matte surface, velvety, rich, etc.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

I like the Epson Exhibition fiber as well, I also picked up some Epson Hot press natural and Epson Cold press natural but have not had enough time to test it yet.
    I use Fuji's equivilant to Hannamuhle photo rag, it is called smooth cotton and is very nice as well when I want a softer look.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    I just received my 3880 and a delivery of Epson's Exhibition Fiber and some Premium Photo Luster. I really like the Exhibition Fiber. The results are amazing. I probably would have liked the Premium Photo better had I not had the fiber to compare with. Looking at the Moab offerings, I might just try some of theirs as well.

Another difficult paper to work with but IMO one of the nicest looks on inkjet is Fabrinio hot press, this is a watercolour paper and NOT A INKJET APPROVED PAPER, that I use for alt processes.*** not yelling with the caps but making sure you are aware that it is not what the PS gurus would ever recommend***
    Getting the right profile for this is difficult, but if you are into an very soft , old vintage , type of look where the inks sink into the paper and not sit on top as most inkjet proper papers its worth trying.
    Fudging the original file is pretty much a given and the right profile for your printer may take you some time to perfect.
    But if something a bit different and choice look is in your mandate this is a paper to consider.