Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone test new rule for camera bag on airplanes?

Anyone test new rule for camera bag on airplanes?

Now that the Department of Homeland Security is permitting an additional carry-on bag for camera equipment on airplanes, has anyone had the chance to test this? Are the inspectors aware of the new rule? I am concerned, for example, that inspectors might see 4x4 metal lens boards and a metal camera - as potential weapons and disallow the equipment as carry-on luggage. Do you dare to permit your camera equipment to go in the hold? Or would you ship equipment by Fedex in advance? What about packing a tripod? Do you put it in a box, a soft sided bag, or a dedicated hard case?

I flew Continental EWR to PDX yesterday and hand carried a briefcase with computer and electronics and a camera bag. No one asked or said anything. Total time - checkin to gate - less then 5 minutes at 2PM at one of the busiest terminals at one of the busiest airports.

I was also flying with 2 Rimowa aluminum suitcases, a 30" 4 wheel case and a 26" wheeled case. Neither created a question nor were they opened. The small case was full of photo and electronics.

Keep in mind that it is the lessor of the rules between the airlines and the TSA. I.e. If the airline says one personal item and a carry one, and the TSA says: one personal item, a carry on and a camera bag, the airline's rule applies.

On many airlines flying internationally, the rule only helps you if you are flying Business or first class.

Also keep in mind that the weight restrictions on many airlines can be the limiting factor for large format.

Many airlines limit you to 15# per bag carry on and some are as low as 8#. My roll a board weighs 8 pounds empty!

Darter,

Over Christmas, I carried a backpack containing a 4x5 metal camera, lens, film, etc. on flights to and from the US. The security people had no problem with it and they were happy to hand check the film. In the last year, I have also carried a Gitzo 1325 tripod on flights in the US and Europe without anyone so much as blinking an eye. At Christmas I decided to put the tripod in with clothes in a checked luggage bag. The tripod survived the ordeal.

A Rimowa Salsa Plus polycarbonate 2 wheeled 30" case weighs 8 lbs empty. The wheeled carry-on weighs 5 lbs.

With weight limitations on air travel luggage why would someone want to take up most of their weight allotment with the weight of a heavy suitcase? And the polycarbonate material is extremely tough stuff - they make bulletproof glass from it!

Around Christmas I took four flights and carried on my Crumpler Fux Delux with Linhof Tech V 4x5" kit, five lenses, the usual accessories and laptop. Two were short commuter flights on which carryons were not checked. One flight the Crumpler bag went through the X-ray with no additional inspection. One flight they were suspicious of my focusing cams, which looked like scissors on the X-ray, but they were okay with them once they saw what they were. I don't carry any film faster than Tri-X, so I let it go through the X-ray in a lead bag. I check my tripod in a Tenba TTP case.

I may be missing something but the real question to me is "which airlines willnow let you carry on three (3) pieces?"

If I correctly understand the new TSA rules they allow a THIRD piece in addition to a carryon bag and a 'personal item (read reifecase, etc.).' As a frequent flyer I am not willing to risk the iarline's willingness to go along with three items, even if I am sitting in First Class, until I check with them in advance. On most of my short hops I make do quite well with two carryon pieces but I am head out to the West Coast for a longer trip later this month and will call and check in advance if I decide to thry a third piece as carryon; it is that third piece that none of the responses seem to have answered unless I missed something.

Another issue, of course,is where you can put this camera case. Unless you get on the plane early early you will frequently find no room left in the overheads. I have even had this happen in First Class.

Well when I checked with a local airline awhile back the rule was the camera bag didn't count. Now I don't know what they mean by camera bag.

According to Northwest's website, passengers are allowed to carry on one piece of luggage conforming to size and weight restrictions, plus one personal item (purse, computer, etc.), plus one "special" item, such as coats, umbrellas, diaper changing beds, small camera bags, prostheses and canes, etc. On the other hand, United's website makes no mention of cameras or camera bags, and American's site notes that "Small book-bag style backpacks" and "other similar items that do not exceed 36 linear inches (length + width + height) will be allowed such as a small tote bag or shoulder bag." Other airlines may have their own variations on TSA's new guideline. I'll be taking my Crown Graphic to Scotland in a couple of days -- we'll see how it goes.

Well it's finally happened--Here I am in Maui and my tripod bag got left with what seems to be a whole crate of other passengers' luggage in Newark airport. Fortunately, I brought my Tech V, so I can shoot handheld today until the airline delivers my tripod.

That said, I put the camera bag through the X-ray with film in a lead bag and was not subject to further inspection at Newark airport. I've made up a little case with all the things that draw the attention of the inspectors, so I can put it in my checked luggage, and then transfer it back to the camera bag when it arrives--Linhof cams, cable releases, spanners and small tools. I keep one lens with cam and cable release on the camera, so that if my checked luggage doesn't arrive as it hasn't this time, at least I've got one cammed lens to shoot with. I've got two empty Grafmatics and a 6x7 back as well in the missing bag, but I brought one loaded Grafmatic and two boxes of film on the plane, so I've got something to go with.

I was also carrying a totebag with some books and other things and didn't have any problem with that plus the Crumpler Fux Deluxe, either with the TSA or with the airline.