Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Do you cry?

Re: Do you cry?

Interesting question, and one I hadn't thought much on before. Like a few others said above, I can get teary over a movie or a song or a news story (yesterday's about the homeless schizophrenic man calling out for his father as he was being beaten to death by police comes to mind), but I can't recall ever crying over a photograph, at least not over one not of a loved one. Of course I have found some photographs to be very moving, and many of them are seared into my mind. For instance, I find Weston's last pictures to be powerful and poignant, but I wonder if I'd feel the same way if I didn't know so much about his life and about his sickness toward the end.

On a related note, if I could ever get anyone to weep over my photos it would make me very happy.

Here's a pretty melancholy set (put on some sad music and view it as a slide show):
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/austing...7629261779075/

Images of pets/animals that have been horribly abused by their owners will make me cry. It really upsets me to see such things. I almost cried when I saw "War Horse" even though I knew it was just a movie.

My eyes become teary when I see typical HDR images

Quote Originally Posted by genotypewriter View Post
    My eyes become teary when I see typical HDR images
    +1

I've put together a couple of slide shows for the funeral events / celebrations of life of deceased family members. (No shortages of photos going way back in this family)

Highly effective at getting everyone to shed some tears. The tears are in ya, and times like this you gotta let some out.

Quote Originally Posted by genotypewriter View Post
    my eyes become teary when i see typical hdr images

Maybe what happens in michael slade's classes - by explaining that crying is an appropriate response, the students may have "given themselves permission" to cry - so they set themselves up for it. Next year don't say a thing and see if the same happens.

Had this thread started two days earlier, I would have made a point to get myself into the frame of mind to cry at the sight of the beautiful prints from the print exchange. I can cry. My wife caught me the other day, I was listening to Cat Stevens's Father and Son and I was struck with the realization that last time I really listened to that song I was in the other role...

Heroique hints it might be sentimental. Did Andrew O'Neill previsualize that his photograph would evoke the memory of a loved one when taking the picture of the doorway? If you sometimes think everyone is connected as I do, Andrew's mind could have drawn a connection between a soon to be opened door and expected joy of a homecoming intertwined with the realization it can never occur.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I suspect a number of us have cried after ebay auctions...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

(Shrek)

Not often enough.

Vietnam: the Unseen War documentary has a couple of photographs that got me. Although most of the images by themselves I don't know would have done it. I know one of them would have gotten me anyway just knowing it was a wartime photo, the others I need to know the context somehow.