Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tripod help!

Tripod help!

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a tripod for use with my Zone VI field camera. I currently am borrowing a VERY HEAVY manfrotto tripod and 3 way head. I wanted to get something that is light enough to carry out into the field with me, but price is also an issue. I've been reading up on tripods, but am a bit overwhelmed by everything. Any suggestions? My requirements:

-Light enough to carry in the field for a week or so
    -Fairly sturdy (not sure of the weight of the Zone VI and my 210 (7-8 lbs?)
    -Tall (I'm 6'4", I don't want to have to bend in half!)
    -Less than $250 or so (with a 3 way head, if possible)

Thanks!

-Chris

Re: Tripod help!

Used Leitz Tiltall. Six pounds including head.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I'd suggest looking at the Feisol line of tripods. They're carbon fiber, made in Taiwan, very well made and much less expensive than something like a Gitzo (I have both a Gitzo and a Feisol, IMHO there's no significant difference in materials or build quality). Mine would probably be too short for you but they make several different models. In my one experience their customer service was exemplary. www.feisol.net. Also www.reallybigcameras.com.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Thanks, I'll check those out. I forgot, I'd prefer something with adjustable tilt angle on the legs. And a head with a quick release plate too...

Tiltall is a good choice, and under $100.
    I have an Induro, more expensive, but great bang for the buck.
    The AT413 sells for $220 at B&H and is rated for 44 lbs or 20kg.

retrogrouchy

I really like my Feisol CT-3442 Rapid (and it's enough for 4x5) but it's not going to meet your budget unless you can find a secondhand one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Used Leitz Tiltall. Six pounds including head.
    Hard to beat the Tiltall. I regard it as the ideal tripod for my Linhof STIV, which is quite a bit heavier than the Zone VI.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Warning-Alternative Tiltall Viewpoint. Read at your own risk.

FWIW. I hate the Tiltall-owned two of them (Leitz) back in the 70's. We nicknamed them the "guillotine" because of the way the head tends to flop over with camera (unless it is really tight-there is no static tensioning in this head-not good) unexpectedly and pinch your fingers. Leg knobs in the SW get gunked up with sand and won't lock down. I was so happy when I could afford a better tripod, In my humble opinion a poor choice for 4x5, but in that price range you are going to be very limited. Worst tripod I ever owned.
    Last edited by Kirk Gittings; 10-May-2012 at 16:00.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I've used an old Tiltall Pro for many years. It meets all your needs. I finally got myself Calumet carbon fiber legs with a Induro 5 way head. It is slightly ligher than the Tiltall and a bit more compact and easier to use, but it also costs more than your budget allows.

I'm a tiltall fan. I don't deal with desert, so fine sand isn't a problem. It was designed for high end pre-war cameras, which would seem to include 4x5. For the price range and versatility (I even use it for some video), it can't be beat.

Kurt's concern about being pinched isn't if you hold the camera/lens while adjusting it. [Even still, it's a tame experience compared to getting your hand bit by the slide of a semiautomatic pistol or a garand] Lots of ball heads and other heads in this price range will flop over if not tight. If you get another tripod and outfit it with a cheap $50 chinese ball head (as would be fine for a consumer dslr), it's gonna get floppy on top for a 4x5 camera.