Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Risky Buy?

Risky Buy?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...ectorid=229466

I very much want to delve into LF, but am unfortunately on a tight budget. With my scouring on eBay, I've found this badly photographed, seemingly risky and outrageous deal. Is it worth it? Could I sell a lens or two to fund the rest of what I'll be needing? Help.

Big Negs Rock!

Re: Risky Buy?

Looks like a good deal. The Ektar alone is worth more than the whole kit. It looks like you're going to need the adapter from the mono rail to the tripod.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

It looks like it's missing the tripod block that would go between the two standards.

The lenses, if working well and not full of fungus, are probably worth more than the asking price.

It's risky, though return shipping in the case of problems would be expensive.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Sure it's risky. The seller apparently has never used this equipment. The lenses and shutters are old, which means they could have problems. The shutters aren't made any more so parts to repair them if necessary might not be available. The seller hasn't performed a proper test to see if the bellows are light tight (just looking at them isn't enough, he needs to put the camera in a dark room, remove the back, and shine a flashlight all around the inside of the bellows while looking at the outside, especially the corners, to see if light comes through). I've never owned this camera or any other Linhof monorail (I've owned two Technikas) but in general Linhof is considered one of thevery best brands of LF cameras. Someone who knows the camera might be able to spot problems from the pictures or tell you things to ask and watch out for.

So there's certainly some risk. But then most ebay auctions are risky to some degree, this one is probably no more risky than any other auction of comparably old gear that hasn't actually been used by the seller. At a minimum I'd ask him to perform a proper test on the bellows to see if it leaks light. A new bellows, especially a Linhof bellows, can set you back $300 or so.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Welcome to the world of LF.

At that price it's a bargain. If the lenses are in good shutters you could certainly sell one or two but only the 12" Commercial Ektar would fetch a reasonable price and it's worth keeping.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    It looks like it's missing the tripod block that would go between the two standards.

The lenses, if working well and not full of fungus, are probably worth more than the asking price.

It's risky, though return shipping in the case of problems would be expensive.
    The tripod block that fits on the rail is the white piece that looks kind of like a tripod head, I think. I agree that this looks like a very good deal.

Oh good, didn't see that.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

The device on the left in two of the pictures - the thing with the red inside cover - is a Gossen light meter. It's a well-respected meter, but uses batteries which are no longer available. There are solutions to that, so speak up if you happen to purchase the kit.

Charley

Thank you all very much! I'll try to get it sometime soon. This has a been a wonderful introduction to the LF forums and the fantastic people here. Again, thank you very much.

Way too much money. The light meter probably does not work, the shutters are untested, no pictures of the glass to see if they are hazy. The lenses in question are not worth much anyway. The bellows looks trashed. I'd say that is a $250 kit for the person that likes to fix and restore equipment. For $500 all the above mentioned things should be stated to be functional.