Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tripod help!

Re: Tripod help!

Here's one which can be purchased new. Weighs one pound more than the Tiltall (7#). Has flip-lock legs and included quick release head.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ipod_with.html
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I use a Linhof 003333 tripod that I purchased used on ebay for $179. It weighs about 7 1/2 pounds and is rated to support 27 pounds. I have used it successfully with both my Wisner trandtional 4x5 and my Sinar Norma 4x5. I believe that a Tiltall is not adequate for your Zone VI camera. This tripod is often available used, solid, and is a great bargain.

falth j

Sturdy, Cheap, and Light as far as tripods are concerned, are all terms which are mutually excluding.

You can have one or two,

but only at the expense of excluding the second or third item.

Oxymoronic best describes tripod features consisting of sturdy, cheap, and light.

003317 is the more common version. the 33 has a pneumatic center column. The 003317 is exactly the same with a non-pneumatic column.

The Tiltall is way MORE than adequate for your Zone VI camera. The Linhof 3333, on the other hand, whle a superb bit of German engineering, is gross overkill, suitable for an 8x10.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Bite the bullet and buy one good tripod and head that will last a lifetime. I bought a Gitzo G1348 (~$600 new) and Arca Swiss zp-s1 for my Toyo 45AX and Pentax 67II cameras and while the cost really put a dent in the checkbook (~$1100 with the case) I'm glad that I did and haven't looked back. Unless I loose the tripod I will never have to buy another one for those formats.

If you shoot multiple formats like I do, you'll find it necessary to have more than one tripod. I have a Gitzo Series 0 for light weight backpacking/bicycle touring and a Series 5 for 8x10.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    The Tiltall is way MORE than adequate for your Zone VI camera. The Linhof 3333, on the other hand, whle a superb bit of German engineering, is gross overkill, suitable for an 8x10.
    I'm willing to bet he's never seen a Tiltall. I've had a Deardorff V8 on mine, no it isn't adequate, but it worked for the first photo I made with it.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

My first impression of a Tiltall in a camera store wasn't favorable, but I bought it anyhow and enjoyed it for three years before selling it due to a major relocation. Then, in 1972 I bought a used one, and would still be using it if I hadn't lost it a few years ago. The replacements were two more Tiltalls, one for the house and one to keep in a vehicle. I'd been using Tiltalls for many years before discovering that Ansel Adams also used one. For the OP, they have a universal 1/4" tripod screw rather than a QD, and the angle of the leg spread is fixed. The height is 57" plus 12" more if the center column is extended. I usually don't quite fully extend the legs, but it is steady enough for much use when I do. Even the column is steady when extended. The column can be inverted for low camera positions, but this is awkward. The largest camera I've used on it was a 5x7 B&J flatbed with 19" lens. That was with no wind.

I've used a Deardorff V8 on a tiltall too, and a B&J 8x10. Not ideal, but it worked. I only used it because it got me lower than the big beastly tripods would. I wouldn't recommend it. Normally, I'd say 4x5 is about as big as is practical.

I think the Tiltall appeals to folks who want a dirt simple, durable, inexpensive, utterly functional tripod. If you want lever locks, QD abominations and the like, it isn't for you. If you want a simple tool that does it's job exceedingly well, it is.

E. "who's been using the same Tiltall since 1977 or '78" von Hoegh.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.