Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about 4 x 5 Beseler Motorized Enlarger

Question about 4 x 5 Beseler Motorized Enlarger

I am just setting up a 4 x 5 Beseler Motorized Enlarger that was given to me without a operator's manual. I have always used a manual focus on my previous enlargers. It seems quite difficult to be very precise when using this motorized focus. I notice that there is a device that could be connected to a gear on the left side of the enlarger where a manual focusing rod could be attached. Is there a way to temporarily disengage the motorized focus in order to use this more precise focusing device? Or can the manual focus be used in conjunction with the motorized focus? I'm looking for a manual online for the enlarger but haven't been able to find it. Thanks, Amanda

Re: Question about 4 x 5 Beseler Motorized Enlarger

45mxt?
    I googled beseler 45mxt enlarger manual.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Bese...ient=firefox-a
    here's the manual in pdf form.
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...ACnjyRd3pVEy4Q

The motor is for controlling the height of the head/negative, ie how big your picture will be, not for focusing. If you see a knob near the elevation control, it is for fine manual adjustment of height.

For focusing there will be, or should be a knob that controls the lens to negative distance, it will compress or expand the bellows that are between the negative and the lens. The knob will be located near the lens and negative stage.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Did you get the CB 7 or the MX enlarger? The CB 7 had motorized focus. The MX did not.

My CB7 can be focused manually and motorized with the ability to fine tune the "rate" of focus when using the motorized focus feature.

What model enlarger do you have

I had a Beseler MXT. As Jon said, you don't use the motor for focusing. You use the large knob on the right-hand side of the enlarger. The procedure is to use the motor to move the head up or down to a point that the image fits correctly in the easel and is roughly in focus, then fine-tune the focus with the focus knob. Of course sometimes in the course of fine focusing you change the image size enough so that it no longer fits in the easel, in which case you adjust the height of the head again with the motor. It may sound difficult but it isn't, after you do it a few times it's very simple.

I didn't have the rod you mention but I believe it's for use when the enlarger head and knob are so high up that you can't reach the knob to fine focus and still keep your eye close enough to the image (or more likely, to your grain focuser) to focus (i.e. when you're making a very large print or an extreme crop of the negative). I never found a need for it with prints of 16x20 or smaller. Maybe with larger prints it would be needed.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Amanda,

Could you post a photo of your enlarger?

As noted, you may have the CB7 enlarger that has an electronic focusing. My CB7 has the control on the edge of the baseboard. Is that where your focusing switch is located? As the saying goes, "A picture is worth a thousand words".

Jose

Oops, sorry, didn't realize you probably have the motorized focusing CB-7.

Here is the link to the manual:
    http://www.jollinger.com/photo/cam-c...seler_CB-7.pdf

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I thought all the MX's were motorized.

The little dial on the motor is for micro raising and lowering the the head. You fine focus using one of the two knobs that are are positioned under the head. The rod for fine focusing enlargements, expensive, but really makes 16x20 and 20x24 both possible withouit throwing your back out of alignment and comfortable.

Thomas