Thread: Afghan Box Camera

Afghan Box Camera

Found this really neat video of a street photographer in Afghanistan. I've never seen a camera like this before. Thought y'all would like to see this.
    (didn't really know what forum to put this in, moderators please feel free to move it into the correct forum if need be!)

Re: Afghan Box Camera

Thirty years ago I had my picture taken for an ID card by a photographer in Peru using a similar setup. I still have the paper negative. Somewhat amazing that the negative hasn't faded, given that it was processed in a cup inside the camera and washed in a bucket of not very clean water.

Bob

This is an amazing video a mobile photo lab. Never seen a camera like this one before thanks for posting.

Polaroid!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

"There are two dirty words in photography; one is 'art', and the other is 'good taste'." - Helmut Newton

Quote Originally Posted by snarkfarts View Post
    Found this really neat video of a street photographer in Afghanistan. I've never seen a camera like this before. Thought y'all would like to see this.
    (didn't really know what forum to put this in, moderators please feel free to move it into the correct forum if need be!)

Yep, I saw a similar cameras in operation on streets in India, Nepal, Pakistan and Bangladesh till late 1990s for making portraits to be used for official works like tagging photos on forms, certificates, passports and so on. I find it very interesting that this specific guy is still using it in the 21st century! Mind blowing!

But this indeed is an interesting history. However, those cameras are good enough to create upto 4x5 film or paper negatives.

/z

---

Support http://thehumanape.com