Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linotype-Hell Tango blog

Linotype-Hell Tango blog

I've started a blog to collect and share my experiences with the Tango and other scanners:
    http://drumscan.blogspot.com

Currently it discusses the Tango and a brief comparison to the Howtek D4000, Scitex / Creo Eversmart Pro II, Minolta Dimage 5400 and the Imacon Flextight 646.

It's my first blog, so please bear with me, still have to correct many things, I still hope it's helpful to some and I will add further posts in the future!

Re: Linotype-Hell Tango blog

Nice, thanks for this.
    If only I could afford one, then shipping would as be as much as the machine, sigh, one day, one day...

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

thats a great thing you are doing, well done.

the dimage looks the best, and at lower res than tango , why is that?
    through a glass darkly...

the dimage looks the best
    Sadly, these scans were made years apart and not all of them were saved without processing. So the only chance for me was to sharpen and process all of them - which doesn't work perfectly and the second crop already shows much softer rendering on the Dimage. The second image is done under almost perfect circumstances and I try to do all future comparisons in a similar way but I didn't want to keep the broader first results from you, either.

Hi,

which software on the Tango .. Linocolor or Newcolor Pro ? .. did you ever run a USAF test chart on the Tango ? .. and which max resolution did you obtain ?

best,

joerg

The Eversmart II and Tango are at the top of their line. Why use a D4000, which is three or four generations back. Why not compare to an Aztek Premier?

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Are you sure it's an 5400 I can only find info on machines that do up to medium format?

I run the Tango with Linocolor 6.0 on a Mac G4 and more recently with a modern PC on Newcolor (which runs under Win XP). Linocolor is only 8bit while Newcolor adds some sharpening which makes comparisons difficult and doesn't scan beyond 1GB (strangely, the old G4 with Linocolor can scan a 8x10"-slide @2400ppi!). I will add an article over the software later.

The Minolta Dimage 5400 was a popular 35mm scanner with 5400ppi max. resolution - This was the last model.

The Aztek Premier is nearly unobtainable here in Germany, I have a Howtek D4000 myself and will discuss differences in future articles but I also had the chance to test this one slide on a D4000 in mint condition with an experienced operator. In theory, the Premier should offer higher resolution with 8000ppi and a 3µm aperture but if that's actually the case is hard to tell. In my experience, the Tango gains most information out of the originals despite it's 10µm aperture (vs. 6µm on the D4000). It also runs much smoother due to it's higher build-quality, I guess this also affects actual resolution. I don't have the USAF-target but when somebody is willing to send it to me (also with test slides of your own) I would be happy to test it. I will add another article regarding the aperture and resolution as well.

not sure how you relate the dimage to large format?

Not at all :-) The blog is meant to be about the Tango which I also bought because I'm getting started in large format photography - but the Dimage was tested in different times...