Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: follow up...

jadphoto

follow up...

Hi All,

A while back I posted about a really nice "Universal" bellows I bought for my Sinar off of eBay. Well, it's a leaker. When it came I did the old flashlight in the darkroom test and no problems. Last weekend I shot some Fuji instant film, then some Polaroid type 52...so two different backs, and the film comes out fogged. Switched to the Sinar bellows and no problem with either film.

Back in the darkroom with the flashlight and I can't find a leak anywhere. I've emailed the company so we'll see what they do about it.

Sorry if I steered anybody wrong. It seemed like a good plan, but then, that's what they said about
    the Titanic!

JD

jadphoto

Re: follow up...

Just got an email from the seller of the bellows. He apologizes and is sending me a replacement. Pretty good service I'd say. Needless to say, I'll test the new one extensively before I shoot anything.

I'll keep you all posted in case anyone was thinking of getting one of these. So far at least, the service has been good even if the bellows was a bit underwhelming.

JD

New Orleans, LA

Perhaps the bellows were not fully locked down? That's happened to me before.

Maybe the instant film backs were improperly seated?
    A long shot, I know, but so was that iceberg...

jadphoto

Thanks for the suggestions. However, I tried reseating everything when I first noticed the problem. It only manifests itself with the Chinese bellows, when I switch to the Sinar bellows, not problem.

Anyway, a new one is one its way, hope that solves the issue. The bellows really is convenient, except for the fogged film of course.

JD

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Dickerson View Post
    The bellows really is convenient, except for the fogged film of course.
    "It was a wonderful night at the theater, except for the shooting." -- Mary Todd Lincoln

[fictional quote, of course]

I'll be watching this thread. I'm thinking of having them make me a long bellows for my 8x10 Sinar P, since I mostly work at portrait distances.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Dickerson View Post
    It only manifests itself with the Chinese bellows, when I switch to the Sinar bellows, not problem.
    And why would you expect otherwise?

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I have an 11x14 bellows from ecbuyonline, its well made and has no light leaks so far but I am using it with green sensitive xray film. Actually, I thought it did not fit at first, but that was ignorance on my part. It fits well but is a slightly different design to the original because it is much longer. It handles 1m extension no problem. I am very happy with it. Its made from 3M product. Sometimes making complicated things and selling them to fussy westerners is a crap shoot, specially if you are Chinese and also need to protect your feedback so I am inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt. Just the fact that they are prepared to replace them without question sayes a lot.

I wonder if IR light may be the problem. I know I can use FP100C in my 5x7 Nagaoka but the fuji B&W iso 3000 stuff is fogged and low contrast, using the same holder and back. Apparently the Chamonix bellows arent IR proof and I know my new 11x14 ones are'nt because I asked.

jadphoto

Knot2fast...go to your room!

Jay...new one should be here in a week or so...let you know how it works. Service and communication has been excellent.

Leigh...'cause I'm a cockeyed optimist!

mdm...I used both Polaroid Type 52 and Fuji 100, same results. Don't think it was an IR issue. We'll see, but I assure you, no Chinese bashing going on, lots of Chinese gear in my kit.

JD