Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Risky Buy?

Re: Risky Buy?

To be honest, I think you could do better. You can buy a great camera in great shape for less on KEH. You can get one for around $250.00 and then a lens for not much more. That way, you know you are getting good quality. They have a return policy if it is not what you wanted. The one on ebay looks a bit rough from the photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymousish View Post
    Thank you all very much! I'll try to get it sometime soon. This has a been a wonderful introduction to the LF forums and the fantastic people here. Again, thank you very much.

If you want it and are willing to take the risk then buy it. If you can't take the risk then don't.

BTW... Next time you find what appears to be a great deal DON'T POST THE LINK because you'll just alert others who will buy it before you make up your mind. That stated... don't make a panic purchase either.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    BTW... Next time you find what appears to be a great deal DON'T POST THE LINK because you'll just alert others who will buy it before you make up your mind. That stated... don't make a panic purchase either.

That's usually good advice, but I think most of us are going to give a newbie a break and not bid. Besides, it doesn't look like the stuff we would typically go after full bore.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    That's usually good advice, but I think most of us are going to give a newbie a break and not bid.<snip>
    Kent... For those with any decent degree of integrity... I'd agree. But for 70 percent++ of the population... including here and on APUG... or anywhere else... no!! I've researched this quite a bit. If there's profit to be had then most folks will steal that candy from the grasp of the innocents.

Director @ Images Argentiques sultanofcognac's Avatar

Kent... For those with any decent degree of integrity... I'd agree. But for 70 percent++ of the population... including here and on APUG... or anywhere else... no!! I've researched this quite a bit. If there's profit to be had then most folks will steal that candy from the grasp of the innocents.
    … unfortunately, I find the above to be quite true.

I the same vein, there are much better deals - so why don't we help and find something and send private posts to Anonymousis so he/she can see what we'd go after for the same price? (the links I provide are from here in Europe)

For example: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Plaubel-Peco-...item3cc5ae018a

or: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Plaubel-Peco-...item2ebddea01d (this is 'selbstabholung', which means pick-up only - in Hamburg!)

These are just to illustrate what could be bought if you take your time.

P.S. I have a Plaubel Peco Profia 20 x 25cm (8x10 inch). It's not a field camera but I use it exclusively in the field. When back problems return I take my Shen Hao, but the Plaubel is an excellent mark.

Good luck
    Are we truly creative, or simply too lethargic to become pedestrian?

Beginner

It is probably true that it came for a photographer, which leaves good reason for the things to be in relatively good condition.

Pig in a poke. The bellows look iffy, and even if the lenses are in good condition, they'll almost certainly need the shutters cleaned and lubed to function reliably.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Bellows condition is critical if your buying used LF. If its an unknown as in this case, the I would steer clear.
    There are lots of good examples of starter outfits in good condition. You want to find a seller who tried LF and found it wasn't to their liking.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

If there's profit to be had then most folks will steal that candy from the grasp of the innocents.
    Fortunately there's not much profit that could come from this. It is BIN, so what that means whoever is first to make the committment buys the lot. I don't quite know what integrity has to do with it.

Hi Brian... Yes, in this case that's true. BUT... how many of us would pass up a $1000 item with a BIN price of $100... just... because... a fellow member asked for our advice? I think we all know ourselves well enough to admit the truth... if only to ourselves.

Avoid specificity... and especially don't post the link!!