Thread: "Odd" JOBO tank

jadphoto

"Odd" JOBO tank

Hi All,

I recently was given a box of darkroom odds and ends. I use a JOBO CPE-2 and series 2500 drums, but in the box was a drum (4541 I believe) that I assumed was a print drum, at least it looked like one. But on the outside it had film and print capacities listed. Can I do sheet film in it? Does it take a special center core, it currently has the little cup that usually is found in the lid of a print drum, does that need to be replaced if processing film?

I'm puzzled...

JD

Re: "Odd" JOBO tank

If I understand it right, if under daylight or paper safelight, to process film or whatever that need total darkness you have to use the center part and tube used on "film drums". AFAIK, print drum "heads" are not light tight.

jadphoto

Jose,

On the contrary, print drum heads are light tight. I used to teach color photography and we used them to print with reversal materials. The reversal paper we used needed to handled in total darkness, my students really loved that part.

Thanks for the reply though.

I guess I could just fill the available space with reels and not worry about the center core.

JD

4500 drums are an older system of Jobo drums. Some are compatible with the newer Jobo 2500 system lids, and in some cases the 2502 reels fit. The cores are not the same, and the 4500 lids cannot be used on newer drums.

Yes, my mistake! I have just checked that what I though it was a "wide mouth" really is the uncomplete cap, without the "cup" you mention. I found this -unused- part (the cup) in my closet (I never develop prints in the Jobo... ).

With the reels I guess the thing will be not light tight. Doesn`t the cup allow for a faster enough filling/drain of the solution? Prewet and longer developing times could help, I think.

jadphoto

Thanks to you both, I'll try a lid off one of my 2500 tanks. Hadn't thought of that.

JD

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Formatholder 4206.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	73324

What you ideally need are four of Formatholder 4206 leastwise that is how Jobo intended sheet film to be processed in these tanks.

I suspect they are long since unavailable but searching found various references to ebay so they do come up now and then, I was lucky enough to find two new old stock ones.

Although it does not specifically mention the 4541 tank I have a couple of those and they are just slightly extended 4531's

jadphoto

Thanks Clive,

I'll keep an eye out, although I had several 2500 tanks and reels so it might not be worth the bother. But then, if the price is right...

JD