Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toyo 45 Questions

Re: Toyo 45 Questions

Quote Originally Posted by gth View Post
    A lot of Toyo 45s on the market:

3. The "G" models have all geared movements?
    Rise, shift, and micro focus are geared, everything else is friction. What the G has that the other do not is that it is modular format wise. You can change it from 4x5, to 5x7, to 8x10. The reason a 45G is larger and heaver than the other Toyo's is because it is actually an 8x10 camera with a 4x5 rear standard. The others are just 4x5 cameras.

My 45G came with the rear riser racks stripped by a former owner, as well as the rear man focus, and the rear rise locks, I repaired those problems after a fashion, and replaced the bellows. Eventually, I hope to replace the rear standard with an undamaged one, but in the meanwhile I have a working camera.

On the older D-series, all film backs will be usable on these cameras, though not all will fit under the ground glass.
    Some, like Polaroid backs, will require you to remove the camera back and use the sliders to hold the Polaroid back in place.
    Great cameras, and very solid.
    Like Graywolf said, the G series is modular, should you ever want to use other formats, and the fine focusing is wonderful.

Is there a difference between the "black" and the "silver" versions of the Toyo G ? I have both in 5x7, but since it's a modular system, I guess the differene also exists for the 45 ? I can't see a difference except the colour.

Quote Originally Posted by gliderbee View Post
    Is there a difference between the "black" and the "silver" versions of the Toyo G ? I have both in 5x7, but since it's a modular system, I guess the differene also exists for the 45 ? I can't see a difference except the colour.
    The color, and reportedly on the GII, some of the plastic controls have been replaced with metal ones. AFAIK, there are no functional differences. The G & GB only differ in color.