Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I need advice on purchasing an LF 8x10 camera

I need advice on purchasing an LF 8x10 camera

Being relatively new to LF photography, I want to purchase an 8x10 camera but want wise decision. Here are a few question I need help with.
    1. Below the $2K range, what would you suggest as your favorite camera body?
    2. I'm extremely interested in doing wet plate photography. Are any cameras better for this than others and what type of back will I need?
    3. Lens - I want to do portraits and landscapes. What are your favorite lenses for each?
    4. My friend has a Fujinon 240 mm F/9 at a good price. Would you recommend this lens?

Thanks for any help and guidance you can provide.

Best,
    Dave

Re: I need advice on purchasing an LF 8x10 camera

1) Deardorff V8
    2) You will need a special plateholder, not a special back.
    3) 16 1/2" Goerz Artar for portraits and landscape, 30cm Goerz Dagor and 9 1/2" Goerz Dagor for landscape.
    4) Depeds on what you will be doing. 240 is a nice gentle wide for landscapes. I don't know anything about that particular lens; it may be a bit dim for focussing.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Another camera to look out for is an Agfa Ansco but check what movements it has, some have full front tilt as well as rise and fall.

The Fuji f9 240mm lens should be quite easy to focus, I use a 165mm f8 Super Angulon and also a 141mm f16 Ross WA (a Protar) - probably the most important thing is a decent focus screen.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    Another camera to look out for is an Agfa Ansco but check what movements it has, some have full front tilt as well as rise and fall.

The Fuji f9 240mm lens should be quite easy to focus, I use a 165mm f8 Super Angulon and also a 141mm f16 Ross WA (a Protar) - probably the most important thing is a decent focus screen.
    Ian
    To which I would add a decent darkcloth and a bit of patience while one's eyeballs adapt.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

While my experience with camera bodies is limited to my own, I can recommend that you look at the Cambo Legend series of cameras.

Reasonably precise and durable, an 8X10 should be available for about $800 to $1K, leaving you with enough for a 14" Commercial Ektar for portraits, and perhaps a 215mm (8 1/2") Caltar-S for landscapes. More economy can be found if you want to use the Caltar as a portrait lens, as it is convertible to 14" as well.

As well, the modular design of the Legend series allows you, for a modest additional expense, to convert the camera to 4X5.

Deardorff V8
    Agfa Ansco Universal
    Kodak 2d
    Century Universal
    Kodak Master View (the lens boards hard to come by for this one)
    Tachihara triple extension
    Calumet metal monster
    all should be well under $2000 on the used market (the Agfa Ansco, 2d & Calumet considerably less than $1000.)
    If the 240 f/9 Fuji performs like the 240 f/9 G Claron it should be a fine, very useful lens for your landscapes.
    Other lenses to consider---a 14" Commercial Ektar is a good all purpose lens. The 12" Wollensak Velostigmat and Goerz Dagor are good picks as well as the 15"/375mm Ilex. The Wollensak 1a or Turner Reich triple convertible or Schneider Symmar double convertible will give you a lot of focal length bang for your buck. For a long lens, the 19" Artar is my fav.
    All you really need is one lens to start with and maybe one lens is all you'll ever need. Time and 8x10 experience will tell you.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

My choice would be a used Canham Traditional... Darned Nice 8x10 IMHO

If you're patient and persistent you should be able to find a really nice used one for $2K.

If one used the standard spring back on a wooden camera, would the wood get stained/damaged from wet plate chemicals?

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    If one used the standard spring back on a wooden camera, would the wood get stained/damaged from wet plate chemicals?

Jon
    Quite stained.
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

1. Deardorff
    2. Don't know
    3. 240 and 300mm for landscapes, don't do portraits
    4. Yes, assuming the lens and shutter are in good shape.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.