Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 6x12 with movements (tilt)

Re: 6x12 with movements (tilt)

Coming back after a while.

I realized that whatever sort of 6x12 one takes (maybe with exemption of Polaroid conversions) - all these cameras are intended to be used on tripod. The largest film area with decent RF is probably the GW690 (which I may get if me and my wife will start to think seriously about a long trip).

So considering the 6x12 I would say that what would make sense are cameras like Technorama, Horseman 612 (or the cheaper ones like DAYI, footman, etc..) or similar - which when coupled with 1 or 2 lenses are reasonably compact and fast to use.

One more question:
    I have recently come across a 6x12 camera(s) that are built around Mamiya 6x7 back (modified to take 6x12 images). Does anybody have experience with such camera / back? These seem to be quite rare and often custom built. Was there ever a 'standard' Mamiya 6x12 camera?

What caught my attention was the compact size of the camera - seemed much less bulky than those 'standard' 6x12 cameras (like mentioned above)
    Matus

Reviving a bit this thread...
    Matus, did you get any further with your search for a travel kit? I am asking just because I am lately thinking about the same question. I use a Sinar 13x18 monorail for LF, which IS rather heavy (although great) and I wanted to pick up a camera to fill the gap between my 6x6 rollei and the Sinar.
    So far this was an interesting discussion, in fact I found here all the possibilities that occured to my mind.. I would like to shoot only roll-film for the ease of use while travelling (not such a big trips like you suggested, just some hikes with family, also for scouting out locations), it is OK with me to use tripod always, and also I'd love to have tilts of all movements..
    If you omit 6x12 - have you been considering 6x9 view cameras as well? Baby Linhof, or Horseman (with or without rangefinder)?

As for the Fuji G(s)W 690 - is it OK for longer exposure and tripod bound work (e.g. using IR or ND filters)? From my own use of 35mm rangefinders I have always percieved RF cameras to be just for the purpose of very quick snap-shooting...

Thank you.

Andrej
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

Jan

I always use 6x12 Format roll film backs on 4x5 Cameras. I have two Horseman backs which I like just fine. Vastly superior to the Calumet back, and results are comparable to the Sinar Zoom 2 holders with a much faster loading time. You can contact me about purchasing my two Sinar Zoom 2 holders, if interested. The multi format capability of these Sinar backs is very nice, but I prefer the compact size of the Horsemans. I have used the 6x12 Format on Cambo Wide Cameras since 1989. I had the original set with the one direction shift, and immediately changed over to the Cambo Wide DS when it came out. The Cambo cameras are super fast to set up, and with wide lenses, the absence of tilt was not a big problem. Stopping down could bring high degrees of sharpness and depth of field. Eventually I wanted to work with a 150 lens and for that, having no tilt capability, I eventually designed and fabricated a simple tilting lens panel which worked well. A year ago I started using a Linhof Technika with 6x12, and the tilt capability for the longer lenses is a great advantage.

I know the thread is old by a couple of weeks and Matus may have already made his decision. I missed it the first time around.

If you want tilts (which about 90% of the camera suggestions do not provide), then a 612 back on a view camera is the only option.

I have both the Shen-Hao 612 holder and the Sinar Vario (aka Zoom I, except that I cannot change formats mid-roll). The Vario and Zoom holders are large, heavy, delicate and fiddly. Perfect on a strong monorail, but a pain in the next, I would expect, when the need is for something compact and light. But they hold the film very flat.

The later Cambo/Calumet holders apparently also hold the film pretty flat, but there is always discussion about it. I've seen excellent results from a photographer who used one, but I have not used one myself.

The Shen-Hao is the smallest and lightest of them all, because it uses red-window advance rather than requiring a mechanism for spacing the frames. It works very well, and in my experience holds the film quite flat.

Any compact field camera with a Shen-Hao back would work quite well and fulfill all your requirements, but you do need the Graflok back.

But I think there may be another solution: Something like a press camera with tilts, like a Super Graphic, would do fine. And if you aren't using tilts, you can still use the rangefinder. The movements are limited, but that fits with your requirements. And it might be cheap enough to consider just for that purpose, with a Shen-Hao holder.

There is nothing, however, more flexible with really short lenses than a good monorail. Cameras like the Technika are as good, perhaps, but none are better. My F2 is not that heavy--not really much heavier than many field cameras especially in the context of the entire kit--but it is bulky.

Rick "who shoots 6x12 with as short as a 47mm lens on an F2" Denney

Nah, no decision yet - I am slow when it comes to large format

I have simply realized that 6x12 with movements beyond a little tilt AND compact at the same time is not only hard to achieve, but simply not realistic. To use tilt movements on sub-4x5" requires even more precision so one has to anyhow use the camera in a 'view' mode with ground glass and a loupe and a dark cloth and ... So I realized that if I want to shoot 6x12 and use the movements that I simply have to get a 6x12 back for 4x5" camera. That is the place where it get's more complicated as my Tachi does not have graflock back and so does not accept the widely preferred Horseman 6x12 back.

For now I have decided to use my 4x5 for the purpose and compose for 1:2 (maybe I will even make a blind for the GG with 1:2 opening). One of the reasons are those 40 sheets of Ektar and 30 sheets of FP4+

I keep pondering to swap my Tachi for some kind of 'field-monorail' for some time, but I am not there yet. In the extreme case I may 'replace' my 4x5 with 7x11" and then get some 6x9 camera for travel landscapes.

So - should I ever really get a compact 6x12 I would get some of those 'movements-less' models with 1 or 2 lenses (something like 65 and 105 or similar) or I will 'step down' to 6x9 and there the GW690 would be probably my first choice.

I should probably stop here as it feels like I am milking this 6x12 topic.
    Matus