Thread: Century studio10A

Century studio10A

I just picked up a century10a with no lens . I would like to restore it mainly for show in my collection I don't think it would be a practical camera to use. Any advise or tips would be great. I would like to find a brass lens to mount on it. I believe it takes a9x9board

Re: Century studio10A

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ury+studio+10A

Here you go, this thread should give you tons on inspiration. Have fun with your project and welcome to LFPF.

Roger

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Actually, they're very practical cameras to use; I work with my Century 4 and 7 quite often. They take 8x10, 5x7, and 4x5 backs that fit modern film holders. And yes, they take 9x9 boards. If you have lf lenses for another camera, it shouldn't be hard to make an adaptor board. But yes, they look best with a big brass portrait lens on front!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Actually, they're very practical cameras to use; I work with my Century 4 and 7 quite often. They take 8x10, 5x7, and 4x5 backs that fit modern film holders. And yes, they take 9x9 boards. If you have lf lenses for another camera, it shouldn't be hard to make an adaptor board. But yes, they look best with a big brass portrait lens on front!
    Thanks everyone for all of your help.I have collected cameras for quite a while now. Most of them smaller 35mm and some medium format.I like the old wooden cameras they are so basic and simple but in the right hands are a great artistic tool. I would love to bring this camera back to it's original glory. The Internet is great tool to research parts and information on just about anything.If anyone knows of any sources for the brass lens I need for this i would appreciate it.I t could be a non working lens ,I really don't see myself Using this camera at least not right now.Also any sources of books about it would help too.

I just started dusting off and prepping my Century Studio 10A for real-life studio work but need new bellows and new groundglass.
    Anyone know how the bellows comes off? I think I can feel some sort of a frame inside the front standard with a couple of screws. Not sure about the rear though.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	79808

Thanks

Just done the same on Century Master Studio Camera as the bellow were totally shot. 12 screws in the front frame and 12 screws in the rear frame. Recovered the frames and now I'm looking for bellows ...

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    I just started dusting off and prepping my Century Studio 10A for real-life studio work but need new bellows and new groundglass.
    Anyone know how the bellows comes off? I think I can feel some sort of a frame inside the front standard with a couple of screws. Not sure about the rear though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post

Thanks
    Bellows removal is quite simple. As noted above there are bellows frames front and rear. The bellows are glued to the frames and the frames are fastened to the front and rear standards by screws. Original screws had slotted heads. It's been awhile, but, if I remember correctly, the screws are oriented horizontally - if that makes any sense. That is, the front bellows frame is attached to the rear of the front standard by screws that go from back-to-front....remove the camera back and look inside with a bright light. push the edge of the bellows outward away from the bellows frames to reveal the screw heads.

Have to agree that these are quite usable.

Great thanks- I was hesitant to start removing things without the benefit of someone else's experiences.
    Anyone know a good bellows manufacturer?

Cyrus,

I think there was a recent thread (less than 3 months ago) on currrent bellows manufacturers / suppliers in the Cameras / Camera Accessories section.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...bellows+custom

Regards,

Len

Thanks all!
    Now if I could only afford a pretty old brass lens...