Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 135mm Kodak WF Ektar vs. Fujinon-W (older style) For 5X7+

135mm Kodak WF Ektar vs. Fujinon-W (older style) For 5X7+

Hi folks,

I'm seeking information regarding 135mm WF Ektar and Fujinon-W (lettering inside filter ring) lenses. I want sharp/high-contrast images center-to-corner on 5X7 with a few millimeters of wiggle room... a minimum of 223mm to be more precise.

This thread is dedicated solely to "relatively modern" coated shuttered 135mm lenses only... so no need to suggest focal lengths that are "close to 135mm" nor barrel lenses.

In all my searching I've never found another modern 135mm lens, other than the WF Ektar or older Fujinon-W, that meet these criteria. And... I haven't found any quality comparisons between them.

So... What's the sharpest/highest-contrast (center-to-corner) relatively-modern coated shuttered 135mm lens that covers 223mm+? Are the Ektar and Fuji-W really the only two players?

ETA: Lens size/weight are very important too. This is why I'm looking at slower options... for a fairly lightweight/compact kit.

Many Thanks All!!
    Mike
    Last edited by Old-N-Feeble; 5-May-2012 at 13:07.

Re: 135mm Kodak WF Ektar vs. Fujinon-W (older style) For 5X7+

Mike, the 135/6.3 WF Ektar has been my favorite lens for over twenty years. It's plenty sharp on 4x5, and I like its tonal rendition in both b/w and color.
    That said, the Fujinon-W is likely to have higher contrast, as most modern lenses are more contrasty that the Ektars. That's presumably due to improvements in optical design, glass, and coatings. But I use the Ektar alongside several modern lenses and the (small) contrast difference has been irrelevant, if not invisible, in the final prints.

I can't comment about the whole "vs." aspect, as I've never owned or used the mentioned Kodak WFE. This said, I do own the mentioned Fujinon and have used it for the past year on 5x7. Will it do what you want? Yes. There are two primary drawbacks. First, the image circle covers 5x7 corner to corner, but needs to be placed carefully and the resulting movements are limited. I personally only use back tilt with this lens because of how tight the IC is. Second, the lens is single coated, so you have to be careful of flare. All this said, it produces beautiful images when carefully used. It's also extremely small, cheap and light. I suspect the Kodak has similar limitations given the coverage and age of the lens.

On a side note, I just ordered a Fujinon 125 f8 for the larger image circle/potential for movements with 5x7. I'm not sure if I'll end up holding on to the 135mm...hard to say, as it is a nice pack lens. Best of luck!

Mark... Thank you. Does the Ektar provide "substantial movement" on 4x5 (up to 70mm in any direction) and still remain sharp/contrasty at the far corners?

Joel... Do you know the weight of the 125mm f/8 Fujinon? I editied my OP to reflect that size/weight are important concerns too. The 135mm Ektar and Fujinon-W are pretty small.

The fujinon 125 f8 is a pig. I believe the front element is 82mm if that gives you any indication. It was cheap, had the coverage (280 I believe) and was multi-coated, which were my criteria.

Thank you, Joel. I'm looking for a lightweight lens to provide a lot of movement on 4x5... or just cover 5x7 comfortably with a few mm to spare.

Deardorff Sales and service

I have 2 135 WF Ektars. One is from 1946, the other 54. The 46 has a distinct blueish coating and the 54 is more purple. The 4x5 ektachromes from the 54 were better for color by just a bit. Sharpness is identical. I've had the 45 since 1972 and the 54 from 75 and I lubed them last in 80. I cycle all my lenses yearly.
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

T-D-G... Your keeping two 135mm WFE's?

Deardorff Sales and service

Oh my yes! I have one on my Super Triamapro (a camera with a Grafloc back I modified) and the 46 lives on a 4x5 Special. I use them regularly
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

I can't say I blame you.