Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small, lightwieght lenses for 5x7

Small, lightwieght lenses for 5x7

I've been restoring an original case for my 5x7 Agfa-Ansco Universal, and I'd like to be able to fit camera, holders and lens in the case for easy transport. A just about any lens can ride on board the camera body because of the design, but in order for it to fit while folded in the case, the lens and shutter cannot stick out more than 1-1/4" from the surface of the lensboard. That leaves out the massive 10.3" Cooke that came with the camera and even the 14" APO Artar thats a refugee from my 8x10 kit.

Looking at possible lenses that fit the criteria, I have a 203mm Ektar and 159mm WA Wolly, but I was wondering if any of you good people could suggest other little lenses that might be appropriate?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

168mm Ser. III Dagor. I think my 8-1/4" Gold Dot Dagor (in an Ilex 3 shutter) fits that description too.

I measured my Fuji A 180 for you and it sticks out just under 1 1/4" with cap and supposedly covers 252mm.

multiplex

i think i used to have a wollensak exwa 3 1/2" f12 . they say, stopped down it covers 5x7. i only used it on a 4x5. it is a tiny lens.

multiplex

john - it was a wollensak 3 1/2" exwa. it was in an alphax shutter.

good luck!

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Schneider Angulon 120mm/f:6.8 - they don't come much smaller in shutter. Covers 5x7" from f:16 up, I think. Easy to find on German ebay, and mostly cheap.

Not the Super-Angulon though - those are huge!

Hi John. 150 G-Claron. 210 G-Claron. 135 Dagor. 100 f9 Zeiss WA Dagor. 4 1/4" f12.5 Raptar WA and if you do not have a packard inside I think you can put your boards on backwards and put the larger part of the lens in the bellows tor traveling. Have fun!

A small wide angle that covers is the 120mm Osaka (Congo). But not much room for movements. I also have had no problems with the 150 G-Claron.

Here's a few more (in no particular order):

300mm Nikkor M, 165mm Angulon, 150mm Graphic Kowa, 9 1/2" or 10 3/4" Red Dot Artar in Compur Shutter, 210mm f6.3 Zeiss Tessar, 150mm Germinar-W, 12.5cm F9 Zeiss Dagor.

I don't have the following handy to measure, but here's a few more that might qualify:

135mm WF Ektar, 210mm Graphic Kowa (or Computar), 300mm Fujinon C.

Kerry

I have taken to mounting (barrel) lenses BEHIND instead of in or in front of my #5 shutter. With 24 inches of extension and good woodworking skills, everything works out nicely/easily and I can buy my barrel lenses cheaply. It IS a pain sometimes to do the lens adjustments but large format is about being patient anyway.

That said, I would never let a case dictate what I do or shoot in the field. Make or buy a new case instead. I find coolers and travel bags work out nicely.

Cheers,