Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need a good cable release

Re: Need a good cable release

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post

Seems worth it to me to watch a couple auctions rather than paying big money for new releases.
    Do you really think that if one is shooting large format that a list price of $19.99 (retailer discount from this price) for a Gepe 20" cloth release with a rotating tip and a Zeiss disk Lock is "big money"?

Or $27.99 for a PVC covered one with the same features?

I've got something like 10 LF lenses, so that would be $200-$300 for cable releases.

Yes, I do think that's big money for something so simple and easily found on the used market for about 1/10th the cost. I understand others will just pony up but I like to get a deal. It's kind of the same mentality that leads me to buy Technika-type lens boards on ebay for $13 each rather than genuine Linhof ones for however much they go for, which is a rip-off.

I have a nice collection of LF gear, but I wouldn't have even 1/3 as much if I bought everything new. Everyone knows the little accessories get marked up like 400%. Who wouldn't buy them slightly used for almost nothing?
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Do you really think that if one is shooting large format that a list price of $19.99 (retailer discount from this price) for a Gepe 20" cloth release with a rotating tip and a Zeiss disk Lock is "big money"?

Or $27.99 for a PVC covered one with the same features?
    I have several lenses in shutters that will not accept a modern threaded cable release of any kind.
    I've been using pneumatic releases for this reason.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

I've got something like 10 LF lenses, so that would be $200-$300 for cable releases.

Yes, I do think that's big money for something so simple and easily found on the used market for about 1/10th the cost. I understand others will just pony up but I like to get a deal. It's kind of the same mentality that leads me to buy Technika-type lens boards on ebay for $13 each rather than genuine Linhof ones for however much they go for, which is a rip-off.

I have a nice collection of LF gear, but I wouldn't have even 1/3 as much if I bought everything new. Everyone knows the little accessories get marked up like 400%. Who wouldn't buy them slightly used for almost nohing?
    I'm extremely frugal (a nice way of saying "Ch**p B*st*rd) but some things are worth spending a little money on, and often it's the small stuff ("...for want of a nail" etc...) I'd rather have a couple of good cables and switch them between lenses than a dozen junk cables that may fail at any time. Of course, lots of cheap cables are convenient, but if and when they break, well one can't really complain about it----after all they are throwaway cheapies. Find a quality cheap cable however and you'll be whistling Dixie Considering all that a cable does, I don't think $20 or so isn't out of line. Besides junk you have to throw away isn't exactly cheap and if it causes you to miss the shot, its not efficient. Also if you are buying used stuff, a used quality cable release is what to look for. Used throwaway stuff is just that much closer to being thrown away while used quality professional gear is likely just getting broken in!
    While I personally can't justify the cost of a "designer" cable release, Gepes are by comparison very reasonably priced.
    Once a year, I'll either add or take one item in my kit or dark room and try to upgrade it (print washer, light box, cable release, loupe, filter holder, light meter etc...) with a better version. Over the course of a decade I've been able to transition into better, more reliable gear without breaking the bank.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Like I mentioned in my previous posts, I've gotten Nikon AR-2 releases for a buck each, and a lot of Bronica-labeled releases that are of superb quality and have been a treat to use. I am NOT talking about cheap Chinese releases, which I have had and have broken the threads off of.

Used, high-quality releases are easily found on ebay, that's my point.

Drew Wiley

There's nothing cheap about a cheap cable release. Unfortunately, the camera shop in town doesn't stock good ones anymore, and the last time one jammed up it locked open
    my shutter and ruined a sheet of 8X10 film - in fact spoiled my shot of the day with no
    backup film! Then I've had plenty of times I had to use the tip of the Phillips screwdriver on
    my Swiss Army knife like an easy-out to remove a broken cable tip. I'd rather spend the
    money up front. So I appreciate the tips on where to acquire better cable releases.

How many do you actually use at one time? For myself, I'd rather have one or two dependable releases (I got a nice DeGroff on ebay) and switch it around than worry about crap cables. But then, I don't have ten LF lenses. I mean, the whole LF process is slow enough that a couple of seconds to screw in the cable doesn't make much difference.

Perhaps you guys aren't understanding what I'm saying. I'll try again:

All of my cable releases are HIGH QUALITY name-brand cables, NOT cheap Chinese ones, and they all were purchased for $2 or less apiece on eBay.

They include Bronica, Nikon, Gepe, and other brands.

I AM NOT advocated getting a pile of those cheap junk releases. I have had them and the threads do indeed break off.

If you want to spend $20/release, more power to you. I'd rather purchase more film. And personally, I like to have cables for all my lenses so I don't have to scramble to find one as the light fades. Besides, like I said, they only cost like $2, and are readily available used on eBay, even really nice ones.

I hope that clears it up.

Oh come on it's just a bunch of old farts joshing with you -- we all know you're just shilling for jinfinance or zenoybiHK on eBay... ;-p

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    At only a couple of dollars each, I bought enough to have one on each lens. As such, I leave one attached to all but my Copal 3 shutters (as they have the perpendicular mounting hole, not the horizontal ones found on the smaller shutters).

Never had a problem, and I shoot with them a lot.

I'm sure Leaving them on the lens is a lot less stressful on them, it's the constant screwing and unscrewing that wears them out. I've been lucky with this Ebony and I have an uneasy feeling about having a release wrapped around the lens in the bag.. The OP said he wants a good cable release and there's not one better than the Ebony.