Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get shutters repaired or not?

Get shutters repaired or not?

I bought a Sinar today for peanuts. More questions about the camera in another post but it came with two convertable lenses in knackered shutters. The first lens in a Sinar Schneider Symmar f5.6/150 convertable in a Synchro Compur shutter and the other lens is a Sinar Schneider Symmar f5.6/360 convertable in a compound dial set shutter.
    I have a late 150 G-Claron and an old uncoated f4.5 150 CZ Tessar. Do I get the 150 Symmar shutter repaired and sell the G-Claron to fund the repair or sell the Symmar in a knackered shutter and let the buyer get the thing repaired?
    I also have a 355 G-Claron and a couple of other lenses between 300 and 420 that I'm happy with so is it worth getting the 360 Symmar shutter repaired? I've never heard great things about convertables............I would appreciate any advise that you can offer.
    Thanks,
    Pete.
    Last edited by Pete Watkins; 5-May-2012 at 14:19. Reason: spelling

Re: Get shutters repaired or not?

Seeing how much Compur's fetch seconhand on ebay £62 for a Synchro Copmur #0 and £72 for a #1 both today that's more than the cost of a repair !!!!

When we met 2 weeks ago I bought a #0 Prontor Press in excellent condition for £5, and the month before that 6 shutters including a Synchro Compur #0 for £40 (3 had lens cells, one a mint 203mm f7.7 Ektar. Personally I'd wait and find a shutter, people will pay more for an over hyped G-Claron than an older 150mm Symmar which is a better lens anyway.

Going on what I saw today then getting the #0 Compur repaired and selling with a reciept (of the repair) would be worth while. I have a late Synchro Compur that came witha G Claron and promptly fell to bits (had been tampered with) and it's just about worth the £50 for the repair.

Your larger Compound shutter is going to be harder to get repaired in the UK but it'll depend on whats wrong with it.

Should have added the convertible lenses are excellent as is, but split is another matter, all the photographers I knew who owned them in the 70's said they were awful split, I had a 240mm but mot enough extension to use just one cell.

Ian
    Last edited by IanG; 5-May-2012 at 15:50. Reason: add

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I have any old shutter that I need to run reliably overhauled.

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post

Should have added the convertible lenses are excellent as is, but split is another matter, all the photographers I knew who owned them in the 70's said they were awful split, I had a 240mm but mot enough extension to use just one cell.

Ian
    "Awful" is hardly accurate. The Symmars are actually pretty good IF you a) convert it properly; and b) focus at working aperture.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I have any old shutter that I need to run reliably overhauled.
    Any mechanism needs proper maintenance to function properly.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    "Awful" is hardly accurate. The Symmars are actually pretty good IF you a) convert it properly; and b) focus at working aperture.
    OK perhaps awful is a bit strong However there is a big step change from pretty good to excellent

Ian

Those Synchro-Compur shutters are actually very well made and old ones usually just need a simple cleaning and lubrication to work properly. They are absolutely worth servicing. If you find another old shutter of the same type on eBay or wherever, it probably also needs to be cleaned and lubricated, if it hasn't been done for a long time.

This seems like a similar conversation to my earlier thread
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...-problem-again
    I' m still trying to work out which way to go as although IanG can find shutters for nowt I can't! :-(
    Clive
    www.clive-evans.com
    West Cork-Ireland, Antibes-France

The prices of older (Synchro) Compurs can be crazy, two sold yesterday in the UK for over £60 ($100) o ebay, yet they can be found in excellent condition for a fraction of that price.

Surpringly Pete (the OP) was at the last Camera Fair before me so he could have beat me to the £5 Protor Press #0 The time before taht I guess I was just lucky a combination of first and only significant snow meant fwer buyers.

There's a crazy situation now particularly in the UK where you can buy & sell a complete German 9x12 camera with a good lens in a rimset Compur (#0 or #1) and the price will be less than the same lens/shutter would be if sold seperately.

Yesterday two seperate Ebay sellers had the elements (in the first case) and the shutter (the other) of quite possibly the same 120mm f6.3 Meyer WA lens listed, the shutter sold for £62 the elements had no bids, together it would have been a very nice WA lens.

In the UK/Europe the cost of a repair/CLA on a shutter is significantly higher than the US, International postal charges would eliminate the savings of having the job done in the US.

Ian

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Those Synchro-Compur shutters are actually very well made and old ones usually just need a simple cleaning and lubrication to work properly. They are absolutely worth servicing. If you find another old shutter of the same type on eBay or wherever, it probably also needs to be cleaned and lubricated, if it hasn't been done for a long time.
    This is absolutely true!