Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ebay policy of the week - partial refunds

David J. Heinrich

Re: New Ebay policy of the week - partial refunds

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    I'll be selling lots of things soon and I'll make it clear that the items are as-is with no refunds, full or partial. I'll take the lower selling price rather deal with the headaches. I won't accept PayPal either... Postal MO only... and I know that will affect selling price too. I don't care.

Can eBay take money from the seller of an "as-is" item?
    Not if the item arrived to the buyer as it was pictured and described. If the item was not as described, of course they can let the buyer send it back and return their money.

Regarding damage during shipping, if the buyer paid for shipping insurance and the item arrives damaged, that risk isn't borne by them: it is borne by you (if you packaged improperly or actually didn't insure the item) or the insurer.

David J. Heinrich

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    So basically if someone will be selling car, mentioned that it got dinges on hood, some scrapes on sides, and driveable, you will be absolutely fine receiving it and oh , not getting engine with it? I mean it is driveable without engine you can ride and steer... Just have to get someone to push it.

There is fine line between "not mentioned defect" and false description.
    True. There are reasonable default expections when buying various items; I wasn't trying to say that this isn't the case. When buying lenses, the default expection is that they have all of the parts that their model comes with (e.g., front, rear, and internal elements, diaphragm if applicable, shutter if mentioned). If a lens was pictured and described so as to obsure the fact that it was missing one of those essential parts, the seller would be at fault and the buyer wouldn't bear that risk.

The problem is there's abuse from both buyers and seller... always someone out to get you. It's impossible to protect all parties involved. I'll take all the losses from selling "as-is" and not accepting electronic payment... if they'll let me. I don't have the time nor the energy anymore to deal with those stresses. Selling everything cheaply is worth it to me.

funkadelic

Then take some photos and decide an asking price... you can post things here for sale, or on any number of applicable forums.

''A provision has been added stipulating that in some cases WE may refund part of the cost of an item to the buyer'- 'We'-they know all there is to know about anything else sold on ebay.

'and receive reimbursement from the seller'-WHO ELSE? Its ALWAYS the seller!

'to cover differences between the item described and the item actually received'-Who is to say the item the buyer receives actually is the item? Since ebay won't look at images etc they'll just base their decision on something other than the facts...like how much the seller has purchased for example.

'Buyers may be asked to provide written proof from an authorized third party detailing the cost of such repairs'-so no repairs actually need be done, just a letter 'saying' what needs to be done....and even then the word 'MAY' kicks in.

'authorized third party detailing the cost of such repairs'-An estimate? So get the buddy down at the store to rack up an invoice 25 cents shy of the grand total and submit that to get a free item courtesy of Ebay...NICE!

'In these cases, we will not require the buyer to return the item to the seller.' Of course not, they'd be a fool not to take advantage of this situation.

Buy on eBay and sell here. That seems to be the way to go.

multiplex

i think the 1 in 10 rule applies here, like everywhere ...
    1 in 10 buyers don't know what they want, and can be a PITA during and after the auction ...
    and 1 in 10 sellers deserve to send buyers refunds since they are trying to pull a fast one.

this isn't to say that there aren't people who sell here and on apug and anywhere else
    who are trying to pull a fast one, don't send the goods, sell broken things
    or things not as described &c ... the only differences are there isn't a commission,
    and or a feeback system to warn buyers and sellers of "problems" ...

I am SO READY to be done selling on Ebay. They CLEARLY only care about buyer money, and sellers be f*cked.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

I, for one, think this action on *Bay's part, is a little overdue.
    Too many sellers list their equipment under the, 'USED' category, when in fact,
    they should be using the, 'FOR PARTS-NOT WORKING' category.

From Merriam Webster:

Definition of IMPERFECTION
    : the quality or state of being imperfect; also, see : fault, blemish
    From *Bay's "Description Category Menu" - USED:

Used:
    An item that has been previously used. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear,
    but is fully operational and functions as intended.
    This item may be a floor model or store return that has been used.
    See the seller's listing for full details and description of any imperfections.
    Re-Emphasize:

...but is fully operational and functions as intended.
    No matter additional narrative on the sellers part, if the seller has chosen the 'USED'
    category, then...by default, the item being sold had better work as intended, or the seller may
    have to pay for any repairs necessary, for said item, 'to operate/function as intended.'

Marc

I've said it before, I'll say it again. The only two times I've been screwed over on ebay was as a BUYER. I've bought and sold hundreds of items on eBay with virtually no problems. I think everyone complains about eBay too much.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome