Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ebay policy of the week - partial refunds

New Ebay policy of the week - partial refunds

I just can't believe how far Ebay will push sellers. I just got this Ebay happy-gram about their newest policy:

A provision has been added stipulating that in some cases we may refund part of the cost of an item to the buyer, and receive reimbursement from the seller, to cover differences between the item described and the item actually received, such as items received with small parts missing or minor repairs needed. Buyers may be asked to provide written proof from an authorized third party detailing the cost of such repairs. In these cases, we will not require the buyer to return the item to the seller.

Here we go, any buyer can now say they needed a shutter CLA, or glass polishing...WAIT, the CC Harrison I bought is missing the radial drive! or..... GEEZE, I can't keep taking these risks by selling on HOSED-BAY.

Re: New Ebay policy of the week - partial refunds

This stinks. And Ive had better luck and lower fees here and on apug.

They either expanded or elaborated on their mystery money-holding policy too.

The update to the Funds Availability program goes into effect 30 days after delivery of this notice to you:

To better protect our consumers, eBay has at times requested, and may continue to request, that PayPal hold seller funds based on certain factors, including but not limited to, selling history, seller performance, riskiness of listing category, or the filing of an eBay Buyer Protection case. Currently, access to funds from buyer payments may be delayed to promote successful fulfillment for sellers who are new to selling on eBay or have a below standard seller rating. This program may be expanded to include:

Sellers who sell an item in a high-risk category with no recent experience selling in that category; sell an item that has a sales price that is significantly higher than the average sales price of items previously sold by that seller; add a new PayPal account to their eBay account; were reinstated following an account restriction or suspension; or have recent account activity indicating risk, including but not limited to significant changes in listing activity or buyer dissatisfaction.

Transactions where the buyer indicates a problem, including but not limited to messages or activity indicating that the item hasn't been received or that the item isn't as described in the listing.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Here we go, any buyer can now say they needed a shutter CLA.
    well..if you described it as 'working perfectly and completely accurate' - then yes

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    well..if you described it as 'working perfectly and completely accurate' - then yes
    Indeed, the seller of my Speed Graphic claimed that an actual service tech had checked the shutter and said it worked fine, which was quite clearly not the case when I got it. I'd rather deal with someone who says they don't know than outright lie about it. In that case, I decided to keep it and pay for the CLA because the rest of the kit was good. If there'd been a way to stick the seller for the cost, I would have done it.

David J. Heinrich

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    Right, this is really an issue of the description.

Buyers who were told X and received Y which is explicitly different from what was stated in X, have reason to object. That said, if a defect isn't stated, but the seller made no claim that there wasn't a defect, that is on the buyer.

The real issue is in implementation of the policy by eBay.

I'll be selling lots of things soon and I'll make it clear that the items are as-is with no refunds, full or partial. I'll take the lower selling price rather deal with the headaches. I won't accept PayPal either... Postal MO only... and I know that will affect selling price too. I don't care.

Can eBay take money from the seller of an "as-is" item?

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    I won't accept PayPal either... Postal MO only... and I know that will affect selling price too. I don't care.

Can eBay take money from the seller of an "as-is" item?
    I think the emperor deemed it necessary to provide an electronic payment option, otherwise your auction could be canceled. I could be wrong now, but I know it was true at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by cdholden View Post
    I think the emperor deemed it necessary to provide an electronic payment option, otherwise your auction could be canceled. I could be wrong now, but I know it was true at one time.
    I know that was true at one time but I thought they rescinded that demand. If it's still in place or is again in place then I'll never sell on eBay.

I'll happily take the losses of low sales prices to not deal with any crap from anyone. The buyer will get a good deal and I'll have peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by dh003i View Post
    Right, this is really an issue of the description.

Buyers who were told X and received Y which is explicitly different from what was stated in X, have reason to object. That said, if a defect isn't stated, but the seller made no claim that there wasn't a defect, that is on the buyer.

The real issue is in implementation of the policy by eBay.
    So basically if someone will be selling car, mentioned that it got dinges on hood, some scrapes on sides, and driveable, you will be absolutely fine receiving it and oh , not getting engine with it? I mean it is driveable without engine you can ride and steer... Just have to get someone to push it.

There is fine line between "not mentioned defect" and false description.