Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Ebay policy of the week - partial refunds

Re: New Ebay policy of the week - partial refunds

FWIIW:

I am now an e bay power seller......whoo fucking hooooooo!

My return policy is very simple. If you do not like the item for ANY reason contact me within 7 days. Ship it back to me and once I receive it in the same condition as when it left I refund your money + shipping both ways. In many items sold I have had to refund this maybe 3times.
    david

Whilst I buy mostly vintage items, I sell mostly newer items typically Hasselblad equipment - in the very good/excellent range. Everything is "buyer returns if he/she is unhappy with the item".

The new policy, as far as I can see, creates the problem that a buyer can insist on a CLA costed by the seller even in cases where the lens (as an example) works pefectly.

I have very recently sold (within the last 2 weeks) some Hasselblad equipment to a "new to me" buyer. He received it at 16.00 (courier registration) and he was in contact a few hours later with the "not as expected" note. During the 2 hours he had dismantled the lens and done a CLA - his own admission. By doing this, he had effectively removed the "return if not satisfied" option and expected me to cover his own CLA "costs".

This is the first time I have been involved with someone who is so obviously a "buy up and squeeze a little more money out of the seller and sell at a slight profit type". Later checks on the person (not possible in the ebay system private feedback option) on the net, confirms this deduction.

I can understand his wish to do a CLA. I would do the same if I had the necessary tools, experience and time. I rarely see items that are described or documented as having a recent CLA. Because of the policy change, I will have to include in the listing - "no documentation of recent CLA" but is in excellent condition and works perfectly - to insure myself against repeat performances!

I've seen the "buy and cheat by lying/squeezing" type many times. I've also seen the "sell and cheat by lying/misrepresentation" type many times. Neither are fun to be on the receiving end of getting cheated. Just like any other place to buy/sell... abuse comes from both sides. A cheat is a cheat is a cheat. Too bad the USA doesn't still hang thieves... I'll bet the number of incidences would decrease dramatically.

I know I'm just repeating myself but I'm going to sell as-is with zero refunds and I'll accept the severe losses. I just hope eBay will honor this. If I'm willing to take big losses and the buyer is willing to take that risk to save money... probably even flip the item(s) for profit... then eBay should leave those auctions alone. I don't have the time nor the patience to deal with horse thieves and biased judges. Where's my damned rope?!

Hey Old+Feeble-

'I'm going to sell as-is with zero refunds and I'll accept the severe losses. I just hope eBay will honor this.' They won't. No matter how draconian you put the conditions and no matter how well you describe the item the buyer can ALWAYS say that the item wasn't as described. In that case you are on the hook and WILL have to give a refund.

'Too bad the USA doesn't still hang thieves... I'll bet the number of incidences would decrease dramatically.'-In that case you may as well start with the Ebay management ;-)

I used to sell at a lower price for years due to the as-is clause but when it came down to it Ebay will back the buyer in 99% of the cases. Now I offer a return and have to deal with about the same percentage of sorrowful bidders as before. As a few folks have mentioned the bad buyers/sellers cause such a disproportionate amount of bad feeling that its difficult to judge objectively.

Steven-

Another Hassy horror story....a friend sold an Xpan lens on ebay and the buyer took it apart and then claimed thats how he received it. He was given a 100% refund and my friend had to pay a few $$$ to get the lens put back together again. I wonder if it was the same person you dealt with...except the time with my friends lens they were still learning their 'craft'.

Well then... maybe I'll just sell here and on APUG. My reputation on these forums is far more important to me than on eBay. The only real issue is how long it might take to sell things especially since bumping more than once per week or even two weeks is frowned upon by many. I'll just under-price my stuff, I guess... same as I would have on eBay anyway.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Although in the minority, you can experience those same bad buyer-seller behavoirs her + an APUG, as I did once. Bad buyers + sellers are bad buyers + sellers wherever they practice those behaviors.

Brian... I have no doubt about that but I'm not forced to accept paypal or other form of electronic payment on the forums. I won't support paypal or any other companies based on credit card services. Frankly, after looking again at ebay, I don't want to deal with them either. I recently bought a couple of small items off ebay because I couldn't find them anywhere else... and the sellers accepted postal money orders. I guess, for me, ebay will just be a rarely used resource to buy only... never sell.

Dishonest people will be dishonest no matter the payment method.

... So says Ben Franklin.

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    I'll be selling lots of things soon and I'll make it clear that the items are as-is with no refunds, full or partial. I'll take the lower selling price rather deal with the headaches. I won't accept PayPal either... Postal MO only... and I know that will affect selling price too. I don't care.

Can eBay take money from the seller of an "as-is" item?
    It is my understanding that "as is" will not be allowed ... minium of 14 day return window with 30 and 60 as an option.... i dont think they will allow money orders either.... Well its time to make some money actually taking pictures i guess