Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adapted baby jogger for hauling gear.

Re: Adapted baby jogger for hauling gear.

These devices work great in urban areas and modest trails. Just pick the one that works for you and go for it.

Unfortunately, any wheeled devices or any kind are prohibited in all of the wilderness areas. Tried to use one inside the Flat Tops one year and fortunately, I had a backpack with me as a plan B. Getting caught with one is a rather serious offense/fine I learned. You either have to have a pack horse, mule or llama or be in sufficient shape to pack it. Those are the only acceptable options in these areas.

It's interesting that Parks & Wildlife, or whatever agency makes those rules, thinks big four-legged pack animals are less damaging than baby strollers.

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    It's interesting that Parks & Wildlife, or whatever agency makes those rules, thinks big four-legged pack animals are less damaging than baby strollers.
    I had this discussion with a parks director and ironically, this issue is not about common sense or reasonableness. It is about maintaining a stoic 100 year old stance and not allowing any cracks to form within the regulations.

Fact of the matter is that allowing baby strollers or any other "wheeled" device would create a situation where the mountain bikers would be disenfranchised and then it would be lawyer central. As a result, the rules will continue to be very simple and one dimensional. Pack animal or walk and quite honestly that is perfectly fine with me. The way the 4x4 jeeps and the trail bikes run rabid in the mountains, it is rather nice to know that you can have the place to yourself. JB Harlin showed me a sweet 11x14 pack set up that has some real potential. Maybe I will get the cross buck pack saddles out of the garage and do a WH Jackson revival trip absent his developing tent.

Well... crips like me are out then. The national parks are for young/healthy folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    My sojourns are more urban in terrain, but for you trail walkers, this might be useful:

http://monowalker.com/ENG-index.html
    Great find Jay. For what it is worth I did end up with the Sherpa Cart due to the design characteristics. The handle can be lowered so the bag is level with the ground so you can work right out of the bag as if it were a table. I have the F.64 backpack thay holds the Deardorff, meter, loupe and two film holders that straps right into the sherpa bag. My additional film holders are housed in (2) photobackpacker 8x10 cascade film holder cases which also fit in the sherpa. The 4x5 film holder pouches that ae included with the f.64 backpack actually double as lens pouches. I have a 8 3/4" verito that goes into one and a 12" ektar for the other (they fit mounted on the 6x6" boards). They fit nice and snug into and provide a great deal of protection for the lens/shutters. If I need to stray away from the cart, I just attach the pouches to the backpack grab my tripod then cable lock my cart to a tree and off I go.

Why are you out? Take a horse packing trip with a guide. Where there is a will, there is always a way. I have seen any number of disabled people enjoy these areas this way.

Michael... I've never looked into that. I'm just assuming it's too pricey for me. At any rate, I can't ride a horse anymore. Heck, I was never any good at it. I'll research other options though. Hey, I can still go lots of cool places anyway... with a wheeled carry thingy.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

I've always wanted to use an elephant as a pack animal. I looked up the regulations, and they aren't specifically banned. They would go in the "other" category.

They forbade wheeled carts, not all carts. So you could go in there with an Imperial Walker, and it would be fine under the park regulations. (And if the rangers compained, they wouldn't be complaining for long, not with Lord Vader along for the ride) Or a cart which used legs and feet. How about a centipede cart? How about a pogo stick cart? We already have that freaky mechanical "mule." Come to think of it, Martian Tripods would be OK, too. Dr. Octopus cart?

Lots of possiblities!
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    I've always wanted to use an elephant as a pack animal. I looked up the regulations, and they aren't specifically banned. They would go in the "other" category.

They forbade wheeled carts, not all carts. So you could go in there with an Imperial Walker, and it would be fine under the park regulations. (And if the rangers compained, they wouldn't be complaining for long, not with Lord Vader along for the ride) Or a cart which used legs and feet. How about a centipede cart? How about a pogo stick cart? We already have that freaky mechanical "mule." Come to think of it, Martian Tripods would be OK, too. Dr. Octopus cart?

Lots of possiblities!
    By all means got for it. Just remember that there is an enormous difference between a National and or a State Park and an officially designated wilderness area.

That said, there is something very special to have accomplished what is neither quick nor easy.

I wonder if a travois would be okay with the Feds. Native Americans used them since before Columbian times.