Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Pyrocat HD in slosher

Re: Pyrocat HD in slosher

He is getting scratches on the base side of the film.

How about cutting pieces of vinyl window screening, probably the heavier pet resistant kind, a little bigger than the negative. Slide the film and screen with the screen between the BTZS tube and the film into the tube. Hopefully, this would avoid dragging the film back on anything that'll leave scratches.

The screen should allow solution to reach the back of the negative. If that's not important, a piece of thin, flexible plastic sheet might work.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    How about cutting pieces of vinyl window screening, probably the heavier pet resistant kind, a little bigger than the negative. Slide the film and screen with the screen between the BTZS tube and the film into the tube. Hopefully, this would avoid dragging the film back on anything that'll leave scratches.

The screen should allow solution to reach the back of the negative. If that's not important, a piece of thin, flexible plastic sheet might work.
    Another possible solution is to load the film wet, with the inside of the drum also pre-wetted. I use water with just a bit of drop photo-flo to wet out the film and drum.

The only time I have ever had scratches on the base side of the film when developing in BTZS tubes was when I loaded the film dry.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

I always dry load 8x10 and have never had scratching on the base side... I load veeeeeeeery carefully. I wet load 4x5 as it seems so much tighter going in... and out.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_4622 View Post
    He is getting scratches on the base side of the film.
    Sorry, guess I missed the thread starter!

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Metolholic

Kirk,
    I also found I was getting slightly over developed corners when using my slosher tray from Photographer's Formulary.

I bought 4 of these wire baskets at T.J. Maxx last night for a total of $16. I strung stainless framing wire across the center and will be giving them a try tonight. The baskets are about 5x14 inches and I can fit two at a time in my 12x16 inch trays. This will allow me to develop four 4x5 negatives at once. Using two baskets will allow me to develop them for different times.

I'll report my progress.
    Shawn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wirebasket.jpg