Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scanner as densitometer.....

Re: Scanner as densitometer.....

There's a nice used x-rite on ebay for $100 presently. Probably could get one for less with a little searching. But I've found that the negative densities that we used to like for darkroom printing, developed via the proper proof method or others, aren't the same as the ones my scanner seems to like. The dense neg that used to give the rich tones in print now seems to block the highlights a bit on the scanner. Highlights in general, in the digital arena, seem to be a different animal.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

True. If you are going to make a negative that will possibly be used on both silver and ink prints you have to be careful on the highlight placement and development-which is why I have gone over to tanning developers.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

This is a fascinating post, and I believe I want to try it. Does anybody have a good recommendation for a step-wedge? I'm not sure exactly which one I should buy. A link would be very helpful!

Thanks,

Robert

How about the Stouffer TP4x5-31? See: http://www.stouffer.net/Photo.htm#Tr...n%20Projection You can get it calibrated if you prefer.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    How about the Stouffer TP4x5-31? See: http://www.stouffer.net/Photo.htm#Tr...n%20Projection You can get it calibrated if you prefer.
    What does that mean you think?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Thanks, food for thought.

Another thought related to this-not as precise. Is there something like a "proper proof" workflow for a scanner-doing a raw scan (on a calibrated scanner negative as positive) then just setting the black clip based on film edge-minimum clip required to render film edge as black.......letting the highlights fall where they may?
    Save yourself the hassle and purchase a used XRite 810 for about $200-$250 or less. Scanners are slow and DR limited and the tend not to be linear in the toe and shoulder.

Thanks, food for thought.

Another thought related to this-not as precise. Is there something like a "proper proof" workflow for a scanner-doing a raw scan (on a calibrated scanner negative as positive) then just setting the black clip based on film edge-minimum clip required to render film edge as black.......letting the highlights fall where they may?
    Save yourself the hassle and purchase a used XRite 810 for about $200-$250 or less. Scanners are slow and DR limited and the tend not to be linear in the toe and shoulder.

What does that mean you think?
    I believe they might read all the densities of all their step wedges on lab-calibrated equipment, and when they have a sample that falls within "tighter" tolerances they print out the readings on the sleeve and call it "calibrated".

What it means to you is that instead of graphing step 3 as the nominal 0.35 you know the X-Axis for that step is really 0.34. You get smoother curves that more accurately reflect reality.

Something like that.

You can do practically the same thing by sending a non-calibrated version to a friend and ask them to write the readings they get. That would probably be close enough to be an improvement. As far as the differences between a calibrated test strip and one calibrated by a friend (to quote my favorite Todd-Zakia line) "The differences that do exist are so small they are not important to us."

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Don, Rather than another piece of equipment, I was looking for some method with my 750 that I could do as I was doing my quicky proofing on the scanner.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Don, Rather than another piece of equipment, I was looking for some method with my 750 that I could do as I was doing my quicky proofing on the scanner.
    Well this topic has been discussed on certain fora for years, especially in regard to producing digital inkjet negatives for contact printing. A scanner just seems like a natural contender. In the end if you need a densitometer then use a densitometer, it will serve you much better. I know Vuescan will spit out D-log values and perhaps certain versions of SilverFast may. You may be able to edge by with reflection densities but for film densities that's a different horse to ride.

A spectro may be a better all round choice for reflection measurements, though I don't own one so I can't really comment.