Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NJ Large Format Newbie Looking to Meet Up

Question NJ Large Format Newbie Looking to Meet Up

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and to large format. I've done some reading up on LF and own a tachihara 4x5 with 6 lenses. I have a ton of velvia film that I want to go out and shoot, but I'm not 100% sure of what I am doing with this camera. Does anyone want to go out and take some amazing photos while perhaps showing me a thing or 2?? I'll buy lunch and donate some film!! I live in Edison, NJ but am willing to travel anywhere in NJ or eastern PA. You can PM me or post ehre. I hope to hear from you.

Re: NJ Large Format Newbie Looking to Meet Up

hey, i'm in somerset, not too far. Near easton avenue on 287. Let me know and I can send you my contact info. I have an 8x10 and 4x5, but not very portable. However I have a graflex 4x5 that I can bring.

Im up in Bergen county. I dont take out my 8x10 much anymore but still shoot 4x5 (Speed Graphic usually). Time is tough but Id like to get out and shoot sometime soon. I was in Boonton lat weekend - looks like some nice photo ops there between the old buildings in town, and the trail along the flume on the river. I was in West Orange at Edison Labs not too long ago (no LF camera then either) - also looks like fun but I dont know how NPS would feel about a bunch of us traipsing through with tripods (although they have a nice ULF in the photo lab upstairs)

Dan

Jersey has a great number of excellent locations to photograph with a large format camera.

Send me a PM if anyone would like to form a group of serious guys/gals to shoot and share ideas.

Flauvius

I agree with Flauvius. NJ is strong for landscape work. The NJ Pine Barrens and its many unique areas, the Skylands the upper Delaware River parks adjoining PA are great places to explore.

Unfortunately I am now in Maryland but visit NJ occasionally.

Good Luck to you.

One more neat place to photograph in NJ: the recently opened (May 2012) Duke Farms near Somerville, NJ. I was there two weeks back with my wife to walk the trails, am itching to get back with the 4x5. Landscape, some ruins, some restored buildings, two glass-frame greenhouses, etc. Free, and no problems with tripods outside of the buildings. Its also the largest contiguous public open space in NJ, showing that it helps to belong to what was at one time the richest family in the U.S. if not the world! www.dukefarms.org.

Another place is Paterson Falls and the Historic District. How about the Great Swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Fotoguy20d View Post
    Another place is Paterson Falls and the Historic District. How about the Great Swamp.
    I live very close to the Great Swamp, and to be honest, have never found it to be particularly photogenic. Unless you're good at capturing egrets and other birds with a view camera... (Since humor doesn't come across in postings, I personally don't find the swamp landscape too appealing, and the wildlife lends itself to smaller formats with telephoto lenses. But of course that is just my own opinion, others may differ.)

The Somerset County Courthouse complex "right down the road" in Somerville offers a lot of opportunities. In particular, the stark white marble columns of the old court house building, the old wooden doors and hinges on the old annex bldg, and the 9-11 steel beam memorial are noteworthy.

Apart from a few Victorian type houses at the other end of town - no more than four blocks long -, there is nothing else in Somerville that caught my eye.

Flauvius

Hi Guys,

I'm in Morris County, Budd Lake... Count me in on any meetings you might do...
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    John Belthoff
    Black & White Film Photographer
    http://www.customfilmworks.com/