Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Off to Forks & La Push!

Re: Off to Forks & La Push!

Colin, "Forks is pretty depressing. Now it's all Twilight-themed shops trying to cash in. The biggest attraction is the 'Welcome to Forks' sign. There's usually more tourists at that sign taking pictures than in the rest of the town. "

I agree it is pretty strange seeing out-of-work loggers pulling espresso shots for teenage girls' mochas. But it is not as depressing as out-of-work loggers just sitting at home. I actually think it is great that Forks is cashing in on Vampires. The shiny black Twilight bus makes a "cha-ching" sound as it drives by. There will always be a logging component to the economy of the penninsula, but it's future is in recreation and tourism. What needs to happen is the typical mother-daughter Twilight package has to match up with a fly fishing package for the old man.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sims View Post
    Colin, "Forks is pretty depressing. Now it's all Twilight-themed shops trying to cash in. The biggest attraction is the 'Welcome to Forks' sign. There's usually more tourists at that sign taking pictures than in the rest of the town. "

I agree it is pretty strange seeing out-of-work loggers pulling espresso shots for teenage girls' mochas. But it is not as depressing as out-of-work loggers just sitting at home. I actually think it is great that Forks is cashing in on Vampires. The shiny black Twilight bus makes a "cha-ching" sound as it drives by. There will always be a logging component to the economy of the penninsula, but it's future is in recreation and tourism. What needs to happen is the typical mother-daughter Twilight package has to match up with a fly fishing package for the old man.
    I'm beginning to feel a little queasy about this outing.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Brian, it wouldn't be so surreal if the location was accurately depicted, and there was a sense of the real place in the series.

I work for a CAP that does work on low income housing in Forks, so I spend a lot of time there. Many out of work folks are still sitting at home. It is depressing, and most of that has little to do with Twilight- I admit (and regret) that my comment sounded supercilious. The whole Olympic area was pretty hard hit by the recession, and I'm lucky to be working. I wish we had the funding to do more.

(John, sorry for harshin' your thread.)

http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/quinault-river This link show one possibility for you and your daughter. The first part of this hike is a 2.5 mile hike (5 miles round trip) to Pony Bridge on the Quinault river. It is a spectacular part of the river that cuts through solid rock surrounded by rainforest. The hike in gains about 900 feel of elevation on a very good trail. You might consider staying at the Lake Quinault Lodge which if very nice but is probably already booked around the weekends.

Rain gear. For you...sure! Even more for your camera gear.

Depending on weather conditions and/or time constraints, a ferry trip from Port Angeles, WA, to Victoria, BC
    could be a nice escape if the weather gets to bad on the peninsula.

Washington residents can obtain 'enhanced' drivers licenses, so, no passports required.
    Passports (or lack of), could rule out a side trip into Victoria. Beautiful little city, though. Often described as Old London-ish.
    Never been to London, so can't personally compare that statement. The ferry is about 2.5 - 3 hours, each way.

My last trip through there was on...two wheels. Motorcycled through Glacier, MT - across southern Alberta -
    southern BC - then down the Olympic, on through central Oregon to Hells Canyon.
    I didn't get rained on except/till I hit the peninsula, and it was miserable.
    I felt like I was inside one of those 'snow globes' that you shake-up. Last week of AUG, first week of SEP.
    No snow, but several bouts of wind blown, pelting, sideways rain. Duh...Coastal Rainforest!<grin>

LOL! This old-fart had to Google Forks and La Push to see where/what they are.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    I was at La Push in 1972 on a honeymoon trip, I remember hiking about 1/2 mile up the beach to the north of town while weaving in and around huge washed up tree trunks and then leaping from one to another without touching sand all the way back. Amazing experience and I only wish I could dance along those piles that way again. One of the most spectacular series of visuals in my entire life.
    Lenser, I bet these were some of the actual logs you danced on.

Still here after all these years...

Tachi 4x5
    Fuji A 240mm/9 (w/ Lee yellow filter)
    Polaroid Type 55
    Epson 4990/Epson Scan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Logs.jpg  

slumry

If you are going all the way out to the upper left hand corner of the country, you have to take the hike to Shi Shi beach just south of Neah Bay. It is the best two mile backpack anywhere and is also a great day hike. You must do this. Also Ruby beach is worth a visit.
    Follow me on Twaddle!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Lumry View Post
    If you are going all the way out to the upper left hand corner of the country, you have to take the hike to Shi Shi beach just south of Neah Bay. It is the best two mile backpack anywhere and is also a great day hike. You must do this. Also Ruby beach is worth a visit.

Thanks!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Lumry View Post
    Shi Shi is incredible. And Point of the Arches is only a little farther- 8 miles or so round trip. That's a great one to time with low tide.

Do you know if it's still really muddy on that 1/2 mile stretch of the trail going in? I haven't been out there in a few years, it was almost shin deep last time I went.